Sunday, 15th September 2019
Across Milton Keynes
App My MK – Heritage Walking Tour (© On the Verge)
Organised by: On the Verge
For MK’s 50th anniversary in 2017, On the Verge and its partners, together with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), MK Community Foundation and MK Council, started producing educational resources including two publications, exhibition, heritage trail leaflet, App and postcards.
OTV is aiming to:
- Help residents to uncover local history
- Unite people in their joint MK identity
- Celebrate and connect residents with the unique urban heritage of the ‘New Town’
- Help preserve Milton Keynes’ uniqueness for the future.
OTV worked with partners and artists to produce a range of educational resources including:
- 12 exhibition panels – ‘Underpasses’ a briefly history of the city and of the 4 housing estates. Around central Milton Keynes.
- A leaflet ‘MK Heritage Trails – The Story of Housing in MK’ – guided walk of the 4 estates and a children’s version – ‘Children’s Activity Trail’.
- Two postcards – Secklow Mound (site behind the Central Library) and the ‘Underpass’ painting from 1983 by Boyd and Evans, now at MK Central Library.
- Two publications for children and young people giving a glance into the history of Milton Keynes, ‘Travelling in Time – Adventure in Milton Keynes’ and ‘my MK’
- ‘My MK Walking Heritage Tour’ App for ages 11 to 16. Walk through central MK and discover the new towns’ story, with memories, photos and stories of MK’s history, connecting the inhabitants of today’s MK to MK’s past, highlighting how they form part of MK’s future story and heritage.
All items downloadable from the On the Verge website.
Location: Free OTV publications and postcards collection points
Project Space, MK Gallery, 900 Midsummer Boulevard, Milton Keynes. MK9 3QA
opening times: Thursday – Friday 12.00 to 20.00, Saturday 11.00 to 20.00.
MK City Discovery Centre, Alston Drive, Milton Keynes MK13 9AP
opening times Monday to Friday 11.00 to 16.30
for postcards only
Reference Library, MK Central Library, 555 Silbury Boulevard, Milton Keynes. MK9 3HL
opening times: Monday to Wednesday 9.00 to 18.00, Thursday 9.00 to 20.00, Friday 9.00 to 18.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 17.00.
Access: All collection points are accessible.
Contact: Myriam Metcalf email email@example.com