Saturday, September 8
5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Keach's Meeting House
S E Midlands
Organised by: Winslow History Project
A stroll around the centre of Winslow looking at the outside of some of the historic buildings erected between the 15th and 19th centuries, and hearing about the people who lived in them, including some extraordinary women from Winslow. The walk will last about an hour and will always be within 100 yards of Winslow Market Square.
Winslow began as an outlying estate of St Albans Abbey, donated by King Offa of Mercia. The Market Square was laid out in the 13th century, and there are traces of medieval buildings, but most now have Georgian fronts, and there are also elegant Victorian shops. The adjacent, irregular streets contain thatched and timber-framed houses, many pubs or former pubs, and a variety of shops and doctors’ and lawyers’ residences. The parish church (which has some 13th-century features) was rivalled by the former Congregational Church (1884), but the most striking building is Winslow Hall, built in 1700 for William Lowndes, a native of Winslow who made a fortune in London as Chief Secretary to the Treasury. Christopher Wren may have been involved in the design, and certainly oversaw the building accounts and provided some of the craftsmen.
Access: Parking on Winslow Market Square or Greyhound Lane and Public Hall Car Parks. Toilets in Greyhound Lane Car Park. The walk will be along pavements with dropped kerbs and very gentle gradients.
Directions: Start at Keach’s Meeting House, Bell Walk, Winslow, Buckingham, MK18 3AH. Meet outside the building.
Contact: Dr David Noy tel 01296 711683 email firstname.lastname@example.org