Welcome to New Bradwell, a village situated in Buckinghamshire, approximately 50 miles north of London, on the outskirts of Milton Keynes .
The village was developed in 1858 by the London and North Western Railway Company. LNWR were searching for land to purchase. Housing was needed as an inducement for their employees to move into the area to work at Wolverton Railway Works, which was rapidly expanding. Land in Wolverton had run out from building houses for the increasing workforce.
Earl Spencer owned the land in the parish of Stantonbury and was approached by the LNWR with an offer to purchase. He accepted and New Bradwell was born!
The LNWR were keen to attend to the spiritual welfare of their workers and the education of the families. They employed the Oxford Dioceses Architect, George Edmund Street, better known for his design of the London Law Courts (Old Bailey), to design the church, vicarage and school.
On 24th May 1858, it being the Whitsun Holiday, with due celebration the foundation stone for St James Church was laid by the Marquis of Chandos (later the 3rd Duke of Buckingham) and the foundation stone for the school laid by his wife, the Marchioness of Chandos.