A Brief History
St James’ Church School, according to a report in the Illustrated London News, June 19th, 1858, ” it was the desire of the Directors of the Railway to commission a church and a scoolhouse of considerable extent for the instruction of one hundred boys and one hundred girls; and an infant school for the like number, with a dwelling for masters and for mistresses.”
The Foundation stone for the school was laid by her Ladyship, the Marchioness of Chandos on May 24th, 1858 and the school finally completed on 6th December, 1860 with spaces for 400 pupils.
The school circa 1950. Note the addition of the nursery school.
The building is still well used as New Bradwell Community Centre