Number 10 Market Place was the home of William Cowper’s barber, William Wilson. He was still living there in the early nineteenth century but had died by the time of the third levy in 1833. His widow Sarah was recorded as paying the rates. In two earlier census and a directory she was listed as ‘Independent’, ‘Gentry’ and ‘Fundholder’ so presumably had private means. She apparently supplemented her income by letting off part of her house to another hairdresser, Thomas Kitchener and his wife Elizabeth. Their census details come after Sarah’s and before the Hollingsheads, in the property next door at Number 11.
(Please read the following paragraph in conjunction with the text in Number 11, as the Hollingshead family owned both properties for some time.)
The 1891 Census records George C Hollingshead living at Number 10 as a retired watchmaker. The 1910 Inland Revenue Survey lists G C Hollingshead as both the owner and tenant of the property, whilst the 1911 Census records George C Hollingshead as a former watchmaker living on his own means. It was probably the Hollingsheads who built the shop frontage as they conducted their watchmaking business from here in later years rather than at Number 11. In 1936, Edward and Kate Hollingshead were listed as living there.
Associated images and advertisements:
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society