Number 11 Market Place was occupied by Mr Blower in 1801. In the Poor Levy of 1810/11 Mr MacDonald was recorded as living there but was excused from paying the levy.
(Please read the following paragraph in conjunction with the text in Number 10, as the Hollingshead family owned both properties for some time.)
By 1833 the Hollingshead family had begun their long association with the premises which was their home and from where they ran their watch and clockmaking business. In 1841 James Hollingshead was 51 years of age, his wife Elizabeth, 48, and his son, George Cobb, 14.
Ten years later, in 1851, George was listed as his father’s assistant and by 1878 has taken over the business. His son, another James, was running the business in 1886 and it was he who installed the Olney Church Clock commemorating Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. The 1891 Census lists James Hollingshead, as a jeweller, his wife Elizabeth and his family. The Inland Revenue Survey records G C Hollingshead as the owner of Number 11 and James Hollingshead as the tenant, whilst the 1911 Census lists James Hollingshead as Jeweller (Dealer).
James was still in business in the 1930’s, having at some time transferred the shop to the front part of Number 10. In 1936 Elizabeth and Frances Hollingshead resided at Number 11. The fourth generation of this clockmaking family, Edward, took over in 1939. The 1951 Register of Electors lists Henrietta Hollingshead, a daughter of James, living at 11 Market Place
Associated images and advertisements:
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society