A TOUR OF OLNEY MARKET PLACE – NUMBER 14

 

14 Market Pl

No 14 Market Place, 2012
Click on image to enter ODHS Buildings Database for this property

Number 14 Market Place is the first property on the east side of the Market Place. In 1801 the property was occupied by John Andrews but it was empty at the time of the second levy in 1810/11. In 1833 Thomas Revis owned the property. By the 1880’s it was owned by Mrs Elizabeth Beales, Bootmaker. Ten years later Elizabeth Norton, confirmed by the 1891 Census, also had a ladies and childrens boot and shoe shop here, while S Norton ran a pawn broking business!

A change of trade occurred in 1895 when George Joyce took over the property. He described himself as a Coppersmith, Tin, Zinc and Iron Plate Worker and ran an ironmongery business for a few years. William Moss then conducted his tailoring business in Number 14 for a short time but by 1907 he had moved across the Market Place to Number 32.

There is evidence to suggest that the property consisted of two smaller properties, ie: Numbers 13 and 14 Market Place, in the late 19C and earlier 20C . (The address of Westlands at that time was High Street and not No 13 Market Place). The 1891 Census lists Harry Minney, a butchers assistant , and his wife Annie and family as living in No 13 Market Place .

War Memorial2 aph

No 14 Market Place (to the left of the War Memorial) 1940s

The 1910 Inland Revenue Survey records J C Hipwell as the owner and Morris Jones as a tenant and also Walter Peters as a tenant in this building. Also, the 1911 Census lists Maurice Jones, a groom and chauffeur domestic, and his wife Sarah, and their family living at Number 13 Market Place and Walter Peters, a butchers journeyman, and his wife Mary Ann and their family living at Number 14 Market Place.

The 1936 Register of Electors lists Walter and Mary Paters as residing at No 14 Market Place and according to the 1951 Register of Electors, Mary Ann Peters still lived there.

Associated images and advertisements:

Market Pl (Trees)_edited-1

Nos 14 & 15 Market place (between trees) 1900s

Visit No. 15 Market Place

Return to Introduction to the Market Place tour

Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society

 

Comments are closed.