A TOUR OF OLNEY MARKET PLACE – NUMBER 16

 

16 Market Pl

No 16 Market Place, 2012
Click on image to enter ODHS Buildings Database for this property

Number 16 Market Place was the Rose and Crown Public House, kept by the Revis family for over a hundred years. Mrs Sarah Revis, widow of Tom Revis, was landlady until 1809 when it passed to a John Revis. He was followed for seven years by three ‘outsiders’ and then in 1830, the inn returned to the family when a Tom Revis became landlord. In 1844 the landlord was John Howkins Revis, but in the 1841 Census John Brown is listed as Victualler; he was probably a tenant. George Revis was the last recorded Revis landlord.

The Census Returns of 1861 and 1871 record William Marriott as landlord of the Rose and Crown. Previously, in 1851, he had been landlord of the Saracen’s Head. William Hipwell, the local brewer, owned the premises in 1872. By 1883 James Andrews was the landlord and also appeared to have had a shop on the premises. By 1887 Jonathan Drage was the publican and continued to be so until the Rose and Crown’s closure around the turn of the 20th Century. The 1891 Census confirms Jonathan Drage as the innkeeper. Afterwards it became shop premises.

GRVoro1911Geo lLettD

King George V Coronation Celebrations 1911- outside No 16 Market Place

J M Law ran the Boot Mart from this building in 1902 and 1903. She was followed by the butchers, Eastman, from 1907. The 1910 Inland Revenue Survey records the owner as L Thompson and L Eastman as the tenant, whilst the 1911 Census indicates that the Mark Gooday was the butcher in residence with his family.

Lewis Rogers ran a bakery in 1931 having transferred the business from Number 17, next door. Later, William Crouch had a fishmongery business there. The 1936 Register of Electors records a grocer Theophilus Richard Maynard living there with Eric John Maynard and Ellen Louise Maynard.

By 1939 Wilfred Vincent Turner with his wife Mabel Mary had begun their hardware business there. This business continued to develop and expand over the years with their son Roy (to include Number 17) well beyond the start of the 21C.

Associated images and advertisements:

 

Eastmans Ad 1907

Advertisement appeared in Ratcliff’s 1907 ‘Olney, Bucks’ Almanack
Click for enlarged image

 

Rose&CrownPub aph

Nos 16 & 17 Market Place 1990s

 

Dix Shop 15 MP aph

No 16 Market Place (on right) 1930s
(Identity of the lad unknown!)

 

Memorialn aph

No 16 Market Place (behind memorial) 1920s

 

Visit No. 17 Market Place

Return to Introduction to the Market Place tour

Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society

 

Comments are closed.