Number 17 Market Place was a bakery run by the Raban family for about one hundred years. William Raban was the owner recorded in the Levies of 1801 and 1810/11 but William Whitmee lived there for a ten year period from 1833. William Whitmee’s wife, Elizabeth, ran a millinery business. The Whitmee’s were probably tenants, because in 1844 Sarah Raban was listed as a baker at the same address. Sarah was followed by John Raban and in 1887 George William Raban was advertising his bakery and confectionery business. The 1891 Census lists George W Raban, a baker, at this address.
The 1910 Inland Revenue Survey records Robt E Raban as the owner occupier of Number 17.
By 1924 Lewis Rogers was the baker, he went next door to Number 16 in 1931 and Mrs Elizabeth Crouch has transferred her sweet shop here from Number 16 by 1939.
The 1936 Register of Electors confirms that William and Elizabeth Crouch were residing at Number 17.
In 1951 the Register of Electors lists Francis James and Freda Mary Schaschke at Number 17. Mr Schaschke ran a private taxi service.
Associated images and advertisements:
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society