Number 19 Market Place may well have been owned by the Griggs family for some years as their names appeared at the beginning and end of the eighteenth century and those named in between may have been tenants. George Griggs was occupier in 1801 and William Griggs in 1810/11. Thomas Mayes was a tailor there at the time of the census in 1821. Thomas was living there in 1833. By 1883 Mrs Bass lived there and four years later she was followed by John Mantel, a hairdresser and taxidermist. He continued to run his business from the premises into the 20th century.
The 1891 Census confirms John Mantel, a hairdresser, in residence In 1895. John Mantel advertised that a Newport Pagnell photographer, W. Thorneycroft, ‘attended at his house on Wednesday or any day by appointment’. By 1907 the Griggs family were back, Thomas Walter running his wheelwright’s business from the back of the premises in East Street and Mrs Emmeline Griggs her millinery business from the front of the house. The 1910 Inland Revenue Survey records Walter Griggs as the owner/occupier whereas the 1911 Census confirms that Thomas Walter Griggs was a wheelwright.
Emmeline Griggs later turned to confectionery and opened tea rooms in 1922. In 1936 Thomas and Emmeline Griggs were still living in Number 19, together with Arthur and Doris Knight. Photographs taken in the 1930s advertised Tea Rooms at Number 19 but they closed down in 1938.
The 1951 Register of Electors also lists Emmeline Griggs together with Arthur and Doris Knight.
Associated images and advertisements:
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society