Number 26 Market Place is another private house with possibly a watchmaker, William Griggs living there in 1841. In the 1880s it was the home of Mrs Clerke who styled herself ‘private resident’ in local directories and almanacs.
The 1891 Census lists Benjamin Stow, an unmarried farmer at this address. The 1910 Inland Revenue Survey records the owner as E knight and Edward Sargeant as the tenant. The 1911 Census indicated that Edward Arthur Sargeant, a boot finisher, and his wife Harriet Agnes raised a large family at Number 26. The Sargeants were still living there in 1936.
According to the 1951 Register of Electors Joseph and Ruth Luttrell were living there with John William and Patricia Helen Meiklejohn.
Associated images and advertisements:
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society