Number 34 Market Place was probably the home of Mr Bannister, who in 1782 had the Parish Pump erected opposite his house on the Market Place. By the 1830’s Miss Mary Mabley was running a Boarding and Day School there, and in 1841 had another teacher, six pupils aged between 5 and 14 and one servant. Ten years later, in 1851, there were only four pupils.
By the 1880’s Number 34 was the Gibson family home. The 1891 census lists William A Gibson, brewers clerk, then widowed, and his family in residence.
Later, in 1907 when Mr Murton ran the Post Office and a tobacconist business, a shop front was installed. Sowmans acquired the property and incorporated it into their business, using it as an entrance to their garage business (on the left) and their radio shop (on the right). The 1911 Census lists Harry Ford Chandler, general ironmongers clerk, as residing at that address.
Being business premises there are no records of persons living at Number 34 in the 1936 Register of Electors.
The full history of JW & E Sowmans ironmongery business has been compiled as a separate article on this website and comprises two extensive parts (see link below). Sowmans business, which considerably expanded its business lines over the years, eventually spanned from Number 32 to 34 Market Place.
Associated images and advertisements:
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society