Number 36 Market Place is known as the Old Bank Chambers, though at the beginning of the 19th century it was the home of the Mason family. Sarah Mason ran a jewellery business through to the 1850s.
Later several banks seem to have used these premises over the years, the first known being in 1883, the Bedfordshire, Leighton Buzzard Bank. This bank opened on Thursdays from 12 noon until 4 o’clock.
Later, in the 1880’s, Basset, Son and Harris were the Bankers. In 1911, the Northampton Union Bank Ltd, occupied the premises before the National Provincial and Union Bank of England was there in 1924.
Being business premises there are no records of persons living at Number 36 in the 1936 or 1951 Registers of Electors.
Associated images and advertisements:
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society