Number 9 Market Place was the customary alehouse sited next to a coaching inn, and was known as the Saracen’s Head. In 1801 the landlord was Mr Negus and from 1801 to 1811 was Mr Rogers. In 1841, William Watts, his wife Charlotte, a son and daughter, and his mother and a servant, lived there. Presumably William died soon afterwards as Charlotte was listed as landlady in 1844. Seven years later, William Marriot, his wife Elizabeth and four daughters and two sons, occupied the premises.
William Hipwell was landlord in 1883 and then four years later, Richard Sanders was recorded as landlord. The 1891 Census confirms that Richard Sanders was the landlord in that year. He was also the driver of the Conveyance that met all the trains at the Station and brought passengers back to the Bull Hotel.
By 1907 H J Harris was landlord and continued to follow his own trade of Upholsterer and Cabinet Maker beyond 1935. The 1910 Inland Revenue Survey records that Hipwell & Co. were the owners and confirms that Henry Harris was the tenant. Moreover the 1911 Census confirms Henry Jesse Harris as a publican and cabinet maker.
The 1936 Register of Electors indicates that Harry Jesse Harris and Clara Harris were still residing at Number 9 in that year, whilst in 1951 Hubert Charles May and Julia May were in residence.
Associated images and advertisements:
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society