Woburn Sands Collection
The Collection includes histories of local inns and public houses in Woburn Sands, Wavendon, Aspley Heath and one for Fenny Stratford. The histories of three inns in Aspley Guise have been added recently.
There have been two inns by the name of Bell (differentiated by the description of Upper and Lower) trading at the same time in Aspley Guise. The Upper Bell survived and became known as just the Bell, and is now known as the Blue Orchid Thai restaurant, but the whereabouts of the other is unknown. The existence of both can be traced through their adverts and sales held there as recorded in local newspapers
Bedfordshire Archives and Records Service has the deeds to the Anchor as part of its Charles Wells Ltd brewery archive. These go back to the 17th century. Charles Wells bought the Anchor in 1881. In 2016 the Anchor had a £600,000 refurbishment and was reopened by Epic Inns; it is now part of the Copper Birch inns brand.
The Wheatsheaf is unusual as having been run by women for more than 50 years at a time when that was uncommon. The owner of the beerhouse appears as Kitty Britten (or variations of that surname) in trade directories from 1841 until she died in 1855. The name Wheatsheaf was first used in a trade directory of 1864. Mary Britten was the innkeeper from 1874 until 1900 when she died aged 78. It closed in 2011 and was demolished in 2013, although some of the original outbuildings have survived.