Milton Keynes was an agricultural community for as long as records exist until the Milton Keynes Development Corporation came into existence. During the Second World War, the Government decided that it needed more information about the food production capacity of the nation and it therefore commissioned a survey of all the farms in the country. The date of Milton Keynes’ survey was 4th June 1941, and the information collected then provides a useful snapshot of the state of the farms at that time. Indeed, because of the slow rate of change of country affairs, it probably gives a good idea of the holdings of the farms for perhaps 100 years before and 30 years after that date. None of the farms is now working since their land has been taken for building. However, all the farmhouses (with the exception of Glebe Farm) still exist.