Chancel Wall Paintings

The North wall above the choir stalls before the restoration
Paintings on the North wall above the choir stalls

In the mid 1950’s the stalls were removed and renovated, and during their replacement colour was noticed on the walls where some distemper had flaked off. This was investigated and the paintings were rediscovered. During the course of the following ten years these were cleaned and restored and the Chancel returned almost to it’s original state by the repainting of the blue ceiling with it’s gold stars. An inscription was added recording this at the close of the work -

Tectum et subsellia huius aedis retecerunt et
Tabellas murales recluses in pristine
Speciem rederun t adjuvant inter alios.
Pilgrim Trust Dedeericus et Flora Lawson

Laurentius Bond E Clive Rouse Anna Ballantyne
Architectus Archaeologus Pictor

The wall paintings in the chancel above the stalls, are clearly the work of a craftsman.

The large figures of the Old Testament prophets of the Messiah, on the walls, were damaged possibly by a Puritan halberd (an axe-like weapon), for their imagery which was frowned upon after the Reformation, and at some time possibly in the mid 18th century they were all painted over and the monuments placed over them to three rectors; Richard Forester 1769, John Hey 1813 and Lorraine-Smith 1857.
All the figures are in shell arched niches divided by pilasters. The paintings however, show some curious anomalies‘; whereas the general delineation of the figures and faces proclaim the work of a master, some of the details (note for instance the feet of Jeremiah) are strangely inept and suggest that the work was completed by novices after the master had laid out the scheme, portrayed the important features and then departed. Could it be he quarrelled with Sir Robert?

Note: The colour of the images have been enhanced
Chancel arch on North wall
North Wall
North - East corner
East wall
Geometric paintings
Isaiah; whose dedication reads ‘Indutus sacco, plantis et vertica mudus Incessi, tandem mere mihi serra fuit‘,with gold crown and sceptre in his left hand.
A prince; missing is the object (? Saw) held in the right hand.

; whose dedication reads 𠆊spexi virgan fervent; ignibus ollam, Quae venture brevi tristia damna notant‘,
holding a rod to the right, and a pot in the left.
Ezechial; whose dedication reads ‘Transibet Dominus portam quae olausa mane bat, Hascq; Dei genetrix Virgo notate fuit‘.
Holding a book to the right, towered gateway to the left.

Daniel; the dedication reads ‘Impius in Christum venture tempore surget, Indicat hoc cornu Dux pectoris minimo‘.
With gold crown and sceptre in his left hand, a prince in the right hand extended over a goat with branched horns.
Joseph of Aramathea to the other right side of the East window whose dedication reads ‘Detrahit afixum lingo corpus Jesu Atq; illud proprie deposuit tumule‘,
His figure and the dead Christ

Original East window
To the right of the East window
Corner of South East wall
South Wall
The east window in 1867 by a local benefactress
Priscilla Day of Stony Stratford.

Nicodemus to one side of the south east corner whose dedication reads ‘Corpus ad humandum nune portat aromata, Christi, Quo magis impensis consecrate propriis‘. St Matthew (Mattheus), the dedication reads ‘Diva hominis facies Matthaee adstare videtur, Unum hominem Christum nam decet atq: Deum‘.
Practically complete but for the face.

South wall
South wall
South wall
Sir Robert Banastre - Memorial
Geometric paintings
The memorial is between St. Matthew & St. Luke
St Luke; whose dedication reads ‘Sancte, tibi vitulus, Luca, incunabul Christi, Dum bene describes, Bethleemamq: domum‘,
A very fine head, the best preserved.
St John (Joannes); the dedication reads ‘Instar Joannes Aquila mysteria pandit, Summa Dei, et Christus predicat esse LOGON’ {in Greek capitals},
Only the outline of the head remains; garments reclaimed.