Forbes Oldham Directory of 1908 (Covers Fenny Stratford, Bletchley, Winslow and Woburn Sands)
Woburn Sands section
Woburn Sands, formerly known as Hogsty End, when it was a hamlet of Wavendon, is now an ecclesiastical parish, with an area of 341 acres, and in 1901 had a population of 1043, now increased, as Woburn Sands is a growing place – to about 2,000 people or even more – and attractive as a residential locality, owing to its situation, just below a spur of the Chilterns, where salubrity of site and beauty of scenery combine to render retirement agreeable. The assessable value (1907) is £5,641.
In 1907, “that portion of Woburn Sands, lying in the parish of Wavendon and the County of Bucks…” was separated from the other portion of Wavendon, and constituted a Civil Parish by itself, with a separate Parish Council, Parish Officers, and District Representatives. This, no doubt, is the first step towards carrying out a scheme of sewerage and sewage disposal and a water supply scheme; but when these come off a portion of Aspley Guise, which lies in the County of Beds. must be included in the area affected by either or both. With the division of the ancient Parish of Wavendon, new officers and officials had, as already said, to be elected, or appointed, for Woburn Sands, and the following now hold office in that new Civil Parish.
Parish Council: Mr. J. T. Luttman (Chairman); Dr. T. D. Holmes (Vice-chairman); Messrs. H. Day, C. Dudley, A. Boyes, W. H. Bazeley, Rev. D. W. Henry, Messrs. T. Tomlin, T. Jackson.Assistant Overseer and Clerk: Mr. H. Gregory.
Parish Constable: Mr. H. Gregory.
Overseer: Mr. F. Day.
Guardians and R.D.C.: Mr. W. Inwood and Mr. J. Pikesley, sen.
Vicar: Rev. D. W. Henry.
Churchwardens: Mr. Thos. Wodhams and Mr; A. C. Plater.
SOCIETY OF FRIENDS
Here is a recently built Meeting House of the above named Society, on the front of which is this inscription:- Friends Meetings have been held in this Parish from about the year 1659. The Burial Ground was purchased 1674. Hogsty End Meeting House stood here 1675 – 1901. This Meeting House was opened 12 Month 8, 1901.
This place was one of the most important centres of Quakerism, and second only to Jordan’s in this county. The Wavendon parish register affords copious evidence of this, as between 1658 and 1750 there are about 150 entries of burial, specified as those of Quakers, and taking place at Hogsty End. After 1750 none is so indicated, though doubtless many took place, and the little trim and well-kept burial ground of about an acre contains the mortal remains of probably several hundred people. A large number of those interments were of Friends who died elsewhere, even as far off as London. In the registers of adjacent parishes, Quarter Sessions records, and other documents and records, are found evidences relating to the “sectarii tremularii” – e.g.
1659, Friends riding to a meeting at Wandon had their horses confiscated as a punishment for Sunday travelling.
1658 Dec. 9, Joane, ye wife of Robert Trannis, was putt into the ground, by him, a Quaker.
1706 July. Thomas Harry, yeoman, Quaker, dyed being buried in his garden.
1710 Mar. 9, Richard Underwood, bury’d at Hogsty End Meeting House (dying at Aylesbury, in prison.)
The above extracts are from Wavendon register book. Among those who lie buried here are: Jeremiah Holmes Wiffen, who was celebrated as a poet and scholar, translator of Tasso of Garcilasso: and who died in 1836, at the early age of 41. Also his brother Benjamin Barron Wiffen, who was famous as a Spanish scholar. Another remarkable member of this meeting was Richard How, who accumulated a library of over 5,000 rare and valuable books.
The present Meeting House cost about £1,700, and can accommodate about 500 people. On the occasion of the opening, Sir Joseph W. Pease, Bart., M.P, for Darlington, attended, and presided at the evening assembly.
WOBURN SANDS TELEPHONE NUMBERS
|1||Call Office||Post Office|
|2||J. Barker, Horse Dealer||Woburn Sands|
|3||R. L. Brander, Surgeon||Woodfield|
|5||G. Collin, Tailor, etc.||Westbury House|
|6||C. Grimshawe||Aspley Guise|
|4||R. T. Hammond, Hotel Proprietor||Swan Hotel|
|21||W. Harrington, Draper, etc.||Woburn Sands|
|7||S. Harris||The Malting House, Aspley Guise|
|x7||“ “||The Holt, Aspley Guise|
|12||G. C. G. Lockhart, J.P, for Beds.||The "Dene."|
|13||J. McMurtrie, House Furnisher, etc||High Street|
|15||W. Needham||Haydon House|
|16||Powage Press, Ltd., Printers & Publishers||Powage House, Aspley Guise|
|21||T. H. Redfern, Solicitor||Sandymount|
|8||T. M. Stewart||Heather Bank, Aspley Heath|
|17||C. Sinfield, Builder, etc.||Aspley Guise|
|18||Station brick & tile works (C. Dudley)||Woburn Sands|
|19||Station Hotel,||Railway Station|
|Russell Street||Station Grove||The Leys|
|Harry Barker||Joseph Bettle||Noah Ambrose|
|George Bywater||George Bodsworth||George Austin|
|Enos Climer||John Coleman||Charles Barden|
|Joseph Collins||Frederick Charles Crute||George Berry|
|Harry Creamer||Thomas Dickens||Arthur Boyes|
|Frederick Crute||Jesse Mitchell||John Braddy|
|Frederick William Gregory||William Munn||Tom Brandom|
|Henry Gregory||Thomas Randall||John Thomas Branston|
|Frederick Harry Jackson||Thomas Seardefeld||Thomas Capp|
|John Jackson||Alfred White||George Edward Coleman|
|William Mapley||John Collins|
|Kemmish Massey||Henry Cook|
|Thomas Parrott||Philip Carwell Cook|
|Alfred Randall||Chapel Street||John Driscoll|
|Walter Smith||Leonard Adams||E. Dunnett|
|Aubrey Tansley||James Alfred Boon||Frederick Foolkes|
|David Two||James Clarke||John George|
|Henry Two||Thomas Clarke||Joseph Griffin|
|Daniel Creamer||Charles Haines|
|Frederick Day||Frederick William Hall|
|George Day||Charles Hutton|
|Weathercock Lane||Walter George Day||Solomon Jackson|
|George Collins||Aaron Devereux||Thomas Jackson|
|Albert Saunders||George Dolton||Arthur Jones|
|Richard Stimson||Reeves Fathers||George King|
|George White||John Gardner||Albert Edward Leadbeater|
|Harry Giles||John Meager|
|Thomas Giles||Samuel Morris|
|Thomas Hallworth||Arthur Holme Mowbray|
|Station Road||Frederick Arthur Hammond||John Arthur Negus|
|Gibson Andrew||William Higgins||Stephen Steele|
|John Barker||Edwin Hobley||William Stocks|
|John Sail Barrett||Charles Jackson||George Thomas|
|John Barton||William Lawrence||Joseph White|
|William Henry Bazeley (Factory)||John Pearce||Thomas Woods|
|Henry Brill||Henry Rice|
|Alfred Butlin||Charles Spring|
|Major Campbell||John Walker|
|Robert A. Cheetham||William White||High Street|
|Charles Clark||Charles Byway|
|James Clarke||Walter Cattell|
|William Clarke||Frederick John Culver|
|George Collin||Erasmus George Dovey|
|Charles Dudley||Theydon Avenue||Frederick Jos. Easton|
|James William Dudley||Thomas Charles Bowler||Arthur George Ellingham|
|C. M. Featherstonhaugh||James Page Chapman||Joseph Elliott|
|John Fletcher||Arthur Cross||Joshua Emms|
|Edward Glaisyer||James Davis||Henry Edward Grace|
|Ernest A. Gregory||Hugh John Jackson||Herbert Gregory|
|Thomas H. Gregory||John Leatherdale||William Harrington|
|A. Hardy||Jacob Pearce||G. Hammond (Swan Hotel)|
|James Hunt Hicken||William Rice||Henry Jones|
|Thomas D. H. Holmes||William Smith||Edward George Miller|
|William Henry Inwood||Frederick Tomlin||James McMurtrie|
|William Jakeman||John Turney||John Pikesley, jun.|
|Walter Keep||George Edward Popple|
|William Lane||George Tansley|
|John T. Luttman (Station Hotel)||Ernest Alfred Tomlin|
|Andrew Medcalf||William H. Toogood|
|William Needham||Walter George Wells|
|F. W. Parker (Station House)|
|John Pikesley (Post Office)||Wood Street|
|George Saffery Scott||George Arnold|
|Stonebridge and Foll||Walter Barker|
|FrederickSpreckley||Arthur Thomas Collins|
|George Spreckley||James Collins||Vicarage Street|
|James William Steers||Benjamin Giles||Charles Belton|
|Charles Taylor||William Hunt||Frederick Field|
|Richard E. Whitlock||Robert James Lilley||Henry Giles|
|George Wilson||George Thomas Ormerod||David Hallworth|
|Frederick Wingrave||James Perry||William George Hallworth|
|Thomas Wodhams||Thomas Preston||William Linnell|
|John Rogers||Rev. D. W. Henry, The Vicarage|
|William Henry Sear|
|Hardwick Street||Albert Edward Tyers|
|Harry Marshall Freear|
|William Thomas, Gas Works|
|Sandfield Cottages||John Cook, Inwood’s Yard|
|John Butcher||William Clarke, jun., Smith's Brickyard|
|George Clare||George Warren, Smith's Brickyard|
|Charles Higgins||Arthur Gilbert, Watkin's Brickyard|
|Charles Litchfield||Mrs Sargeant, The Terrace|
|W. B. Stonebridge, The Terrace|
|Ebenezer E. Vallance, The Terrace|
|George Durrant, Bow Brickhill Road|
Page last updated Dec. 2018.