The contents on this page remain on our website for informational purposes only.
Content on this page will not be reviewed or updated.
For many years the towns of Wolverton and Newport Pagnell were connected by railway, and the engines were affectionately known as 'Nobby Newport'. Starting from a bay platform at Wolverton Station the line traversed the famous triangle of track where mainline engines were often turned to avoid a journey to the nearest turntable. The triangle even witnessed the famous Stanier 'Coronation' class engines - a somewhat incongrous sight on a rural branch line. The track was single line through rural countryside for the most part, with halts at New Bradwell and Linford.
The line was constructed in the early 1860's, with part of the trackbed along the line of the former Newport Pagnell Canal, which had been bought out by the L&NWRailway. The first passenger train ran in 1867. At Newport Pagnell
Passenger trains were timed at 12 minutes from end to end of the 4 mile branch. At the height of its poularity there were over thirty passenger trains a day, the busiest being the workmen's trains which could have as many as six coaches. There were also goods trains mainly serving Newport Pagnell, but there was also a siding to Wylies limeworks.
The last passenger train ran on Saturday 5th September 1964. Daily goods trains ran until 1967, and then the track was lifted and the branch line faded into history.
Today most of the line of the railway can be traced as the trackbed is used as part of the Redway pedestrian and cycleway in the City of Milton Keynes. It crosses one of the bridges over the Grand Union Canal on the line, and one can also see some of the platforms of the former stations.