The contents on this page remain on our website for informational purposes only.
Content on this page will not be reviewed or updated.
The Tram crossed the junction with the old Toll Road - the original direct road between Stony Stratford and Newport Pagnell.
A short way along this road lie the buried remains of the medieval village of Wolverton that gave its name to the present railway town. Old Wolverton was built around the well-moated motte and bailey castle on land given by William the Conqueror to Maigno the Breton. Through the Wolverton family, the land passed through the female line to the Longuevilles. Under this family, the old village was gradually depopulated, after a succession of moves to enclose ending with the general enclosures of 1654.
Today, the most prominent building in Old Wolverton is Holy Trinity Church built by the Radcliffe Trust between 1809 and 1815. According to John Brushe (Holy Trinity, Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, Sheldon Publishing, 2,000), it is possibly the first complete church built in the revived Norman style in England. The nearby Longueville Court was built using materials from the manor house, demolished in 1729.
Today grassy mounds mark the position of the medieval stone buildings.