Eynsham Hall

Eynsham Hall - Number 5 District Training Centre was one of the National Police Training Centres. The Home Office took over the lease in 1946 to handle the large number of recruits, officers were given their initial training at this Edwardian manor and will recall, with mixed feelings, their time in the imposing building with its landscaped gardens. The training centre eventually closed its doors after 35 years in 1981.

Recruits from a number of Police Forces, including the Bucks Constabulary, were sent for 12 weeks initial training which was not easy three months initiation into the Police Force. I remember from my initial training in 1979 (Thames Valley Police) some of recruits were either unable to complete the 12 weeks or required to leave sometime during that period. Training was very strict, uniform had to be 100% all the time, there were exams at the beginning of every week and if you failed one of these you were given just one more chance to pass it. If you failed this one you were out!

The following pages were written by ex-Police 275 Constable David Baggott and include a number of course photographs taken over the years. If you recognise yourself or anyone else (no matter what Constabulary) in any of these photographs contact me at bucksconstable@btinternet.com

Mick Shaw

Edwardian manor Eynsham Hall


‘How could I ever be a policeman with my speech impediment?’‘ That wouldn’t be a problem. You would soon get over that. Give it a try. You’ll surprise yourself.’ Said PC Fisher.
One day I told PC Ossie Fisher, the village ‘bobby’ whose area covered the Walls Pig farm where I was working, that my prospects were not very good in agriculture and asked his advice. The response had been ‘Join the Police lad!’

David Baggott on the
pig farm around 1964
I discussed the idea with my wife that evening. PC Fisher had told me a lot about life in the police. The pay was better, promotion, if wanted, was based on examinations. Police houses were provided in a similar way to in farming, in that the occupation was dependent on the occupier continuing his employment so if and when the person left the job he had to leave the house as well. It was a bit early to think about moving house as a problem, so I found the addresses of three police forces and wrote asking for joining details. I wrote to the Metropolitan Force, Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire. It didn’t take long for the replies. They had all sent a glossy book with details of life in the police service and enclosed an application form. The Inspector in charge of recruitment at Buckinghamshire Constabulary, Inspector Hipgrave, had also enclosed a personally written letter that invited me to telephone to make an appointment to see him for a ‘chat’. I liked this personal approach and did as suggested. Inspector Hipgrave asked to see me at Police Headquarters at Aylesbury the following day. I explained that I worked on a pig farm until 5pm and would need a good wash before I smelt respectable enough to meet anybody!

I left work a bit early and had a good wash before driving to Aylesbury. The interview went very well in spite of me worrying about, and trying hard to find the best way to respond to questions so that I did not stammer too much. I did tell Mr Hipgrave that I had a speech impediment and was concerned that it could make life difficult when I had to talk to members of the public. I was surprised at the Inspector’s reply,‘There is a recruitment examination and interview day on Monday. You come along and we will see what the Chief Constable has to say.’

I don’t know if I will be able to get the time off,’
I said.‘If you really want to join Buckinghamshire Constabulary you will be here on Monday at 9am with the application forms completed. I’ll see you then.’
The informal ‘chat’ was over.

Oswill Fisher 'Ossie'
With my mind in a whirl, I drove back home and told my wife all about the interview. I completed the application form and with references already in my possession was ready for Monday. I was determined to go and thought of a suitable excuse for missing work.
There were eight potential recruits and we all had to take an entrance exam. It was hardly an examination; more like a test that I had taken in my first year at grammar school. There was a bit of simple English, even simpler sums and some general knowledge. While the recruits had a coffee break the two sergeants, Sergeant 474 Norman Shaw and Sergrant 468 Maurice Stallworthy, in the recruitment office marked the papers. There was one sergeant who worked in the department and he was Sergeant 423 Ivan Forder. Three of the recruits were told they were no longer required to stay.
The next stage was a medical examination. A local doctor carried out a brief examination and one more recruit disappeared from the scene. It was time for lunch. By this time I had got to know the other hopefuls and was surprised that none of them commented on my stammer.
After lunch came the actual interview. We were told that The Chief Constable always carried out this part as he took a personal interest in ‘his men’. The Chief Constable was Brigadier Cheney. At that time most of the Chief Constables in the country were retired military officers. Brigadier Cheney was a real gentleman and it was obvious to me, from the start that he was very proud of his Constabulary and his men.
The four remaining recruits all met with his approval and at the end of day were sent to a local hospital for a TB vaccination. We were informed we would be told by letter when to report for duty in their new employment.

I returned home elated. I had some difficulties getting through the day but was satisfied that, as Ossie Fisher had said, I would get over my speech impediment PC Fisher was now to be known as Ossie as he would very soon be one my work colleagues – a fellow police constable.
The next morning I informed Mr Elliot, the manager at Walls, the real reason for my absence the day before. I had told the police that he needed at least one month notice, so my wife (who was a secretary at the pig farm) and I would give at least two weeks notice when the joining instructions arrived. Arrangements were put in hand to have our furniture put into store and for us to move in temporarily with my wife’s mother in Ruislip.

Familiarisation Week

When I arrived on Monday 8th March 1965, at Buckinghamshire Constabulary Headquarters at Aylesbury for my first day as a Police Constable I was joined by three others. None of them had been at my interview. One of them was just eighteen and had been a Police cadet. His name was John Young. He thought he knew everything. The other two were a former builder called Bryan Hearn and a salesman called Mike Hessy. The first week was described as being a ‘Familiarisation week’.

We were told that the first day would be taken up with paperwork and learning the oath that we would make the next day in front of a Magistrate, and to be sworn on the Bible. It was supposedly an easy day. The paperwork was to do with our pay and all the deductions. We had to agree to have money stopped from our pay before we got it for Police Federation subscriptions, The Gurney Fund for Police Orphans, the Force Welfare Fund, the Force Sports and Social Club and it seemed many, many more. Each took only a few pence each month but all four of us ‘new’ constables could see our pay of about £16.00 a week slowly disappearing in front of our eyes.

A quick visit to the force tailor to be measured for our uniforms in time for ‘Training School’ at the end of our ‘familiarisation week’. We were given training manuals, an exercise book to be used as a pocket book, a definition book and many others. It sounded very confusing and complicated. Then came the part that I was dreading. The oath had been written on the blackboard whilst we had our lunch and we were told to write it down putting in our own name and town where we lived and learn it overnight. The sergeants thought it would be a good idea for us all to practise in front of the others for the rest of the afternoon. So this was what we did.

‘I, David Baggott of Ruislip, Middlesex do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve our sovereign lady, the Queen in the office of constable, and that I will, to the best of my power and ability, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties thereof faithfully according to law.

I worried all night that I might make a mess of this very important oath. As it happened I had a short hesitation at the start but once I began I finished it with no problem at all. As well as the Magistrate who was officially witnessing the oath there was also in attendance The Chief Constable, The Assistant Chief Constable, Inspector Hipgrave and the three sergeants from Recruitment and Training.

Our week at Force Headquarters was residential. During the week we visited the Photographic Department, where we had our fingerprints and photograph taken. When I had my fingerprints taken I was told that I would need to return for another set to be taken when all of the hard skin and calluses that I had got from hard manual labour had disappeared. I hadn’t really realised that my hands were so bad until then. The fingerprints and photographs would remain on file for future use if required. We were taken on a trip to the Forensic Science Laboratory at Aldermaston, where most of the forensic work for Buckinghamshire Constabulary was carried out. One of the scientists showed us how paint samples could be analysed to establish if they had come from a crime scene. We were shown how erased engine numbers could be found from an engine block of a stolen car and any number of things involving blood and other bodily fluids. There was so much to learn that it was difficult to take it all in.
One enjoyable session was spent with the dog section. The dogs were very friendly when not working but seemed to know when to be serious and focussed on what they had to do. I thought that this might be a department I could work in with my knowledge of animals. I missed working with the pigs but was pleased to be away from the constant smell that I had got used to so much. I was aware that my nose and lungs were loosing that constant odour. I did ask the others if I still smelt of pigs but they told me that they had never noticed me smelling before! The prospects of the job and my future were more important to me at that time. On the final day we were given our uniforms. Two tunics complete with our shoulder number – 275 in the case of myself. Only one other officer in Buckinghamshire Constabulary had ever had that number and he had recently been promoted to Inspector. Inspectors didn’t have numbers. We were provided with four pairs of trousers, all the same thickness for use in both summer and winter. There were six shirts each with four separate collars, two ties, a cape, an overcoat, an gabardine raincoat, a pair of black leather gloves, a pair of white woollen gloves, a pair of white cotton gloves and a belt described as a night belt. We had a torch with filters to display red and green lights as well as normal ‘white’ light, a truncheon and a whistle on a chain. For the paperwork we were given a pocket book folder and a plastic wallet for keeping other papers together. For our heads we were given a flat cap and two helmets. One was a day helmet with a silver top and silver badge on the front – the ‘chained swan’ of Buckinghamshire was shown in silver on a black background. The other helmet was a night helmet with a black top and a black badge on the front. In this one the ‘chained swan’ was edged in silver. I wondered how I would get it all home to Ruislip. My wife collected me in their car, what a relief!

Police Training arrival at Eynsham Hall

The imposing view as recuits arrive
In contrast to the lovely grounds

On Monday morning, 17th March 1965 we all travelled to the No 5 District Police Training School. This was a very old Manor House called Eynsham Hall, near Witney in Oxfordshire. The forces that used training school were all from No 5 District. They were the Constabularies of Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Essex, Bedfordshire, East Suffolk and West Suffolk and Norfolk. Also The City of London Police, Oxford City Police, Ipswich Borough Police and Great Yarmouth Borough Police. It had been converted inside to make it suitable for training purposes. Classrooms had been made out of living rooms and on the first floor rooms had been made into dormitories of various sizes. Bryan and Mike and I were shown to a concrete accommodation block which was at the rear of the main building and this was where we had our sleeping quarters. John was in a different class to us and his room was in the main building. The rooms were doubles allocated alphabetically. I was sharing with a P.C. Stuart Ayres from Cambridgeshire Constabulary. Bryan and Mike were sharing a room together. We were all instructed to report to the main hall, properly dressed in our uniforms including helmets and gloves, as soon as we were unpacked. This was to be the way we were ‘turned out’ during the daytime for the complete thirteen weeks of our course.

The Green Room
The 50 recruits were divided into two classes and introduced to their class tutor. My class tutor was Sergeant Ken Watkins from Oxford City Police. We were then shown the classroom where most of our training would take place. Each week we would be given definitions to learn off by heart with a written test each Monday with marks being taken off for any mistake at all. These covered all aspects of the police and we were told were most important for the effective carrying out of our duties. Some were long and some were short. It made me think about The Rules of the Road that I had to learn when I was at sea. I didn’t like it then and was sure I wouldn’t like learning these definitions, which were much longer.
The two we were given to learn the first week were:
A Constable is a citizen, locally appointed, but having authority under the Crown
for The protection of life and property,
The prevention and detection of crime and
The prosecution of offenders against the Peace.

A person steals who, without the consent of the owner, fraudulently and without a claim of right made in good faith, takes and carries away anything capable of being stolen with intent, at the time of such taking, permanently to deprive the owner thereof ; Provided that a person may be guilty of stealing any such thing notwithstanding that he has lawful possession thereof, if, being a bailee or part owner thereof, he fraudulently converts the same to his own use or the use of any person other than the owner:
the expression "takes" includes obtaining the possession –
(a) by any trick;
(b) by intimidation;
(c) under a mistake on the part of the owner with knowledge on the part of the taker that possession has been so obtained;
(d) by finding, where at the time of the finding the finder believes that the owner can be discovered by taking reasonable steps;
(ii) the expression "carries away" includes any removal of anything from the place which it occupies, but in the case of a thing attached, only if it has been completely detached;
(iii) the expression "owner" includes any part owner, or person having possession or control of, or a special property in, anything capable of being stolen:
(3) Everything which has value and is the property of any person, and if adhering to the realty then after severance therefrom, shall be capable of being stolen:
Provided that –
(a) save as hereinafter expressly provided with respect to fixtures growing things, and ore from mines, anything attached to or forming part of the realty shall not be capable of being stolen by the person who severs the same from the realty, unless after severance he has abandoned possession thereof; and
(b) the carcase of a creature wild by nature and not reduced into possession while living shall not be capable of being stolen by the person who has killed such creature, unless after killing it he has abandoned possession of the carcase.
We had to learn them, even the long ones, word perfect. One mark was taken off for each incorrect word so it didn’t take many mistakes to loose all of ten marks that were allocated for each test. It was a frequent sight to see the trainees walking around the grounds in pairs reciting their definitions!
So our training had began. We had lectures for most of the day. We also had P.E., games and unarmed combat. Each member of the class had to ‘lead a demonstration’. This was a practical, one of the training staff not required elsewhere would act the part of an offender and one of the recruits would deal with the incident. These demonstrations would occur without prior notice and could involve a traffic accident, street incident, minor or major offence and could be inside or outside the building.
I was called to the front of the class one day and told that I was to imagine that I was on duty in a police station and to deal with whatever happened next. An instructor dressed in civilian clothes came into the classroom waving a revolver around. He said, ‘I have just found this gun in my garage. I forgot I had it. I have had it years. Do I need a licence or something?’
I persuaded him to lay it on the desk and then ascertained that it was not loaded. After a discussion, lead by Sergeant Watkins, it was decided that I should report him for possessing a firearm without a firearm certificate. The ‘man’ gave his name as Robert Pitt-Steele. I went through all of necessary questions and reported him for the offence and cautioned him. The whole class then composed the evidence that would be given in court to prove the case. This would be the evidence that I would have to give for my Court Procedure exam later in the course.
We were taught all aspects of the law that was relevant to police work. We learnt about house breaking, burglary, office breaking, shop breaking, warehouse breaking, stealing, robbery, robbery with violence and all types of larceny under the Larceny Act 1916. We were taught about the age of consent in sexual offences. We were taught about rape, indecent assault and vice. We were taught the difference between pedlars and hawkers. Traffic offences were numerous. Breaches of the Peace through to riot took several lessons.
We did physical training, played sport and had the occasional cross-country run. I never liked those at school and hadn’t changed my mind with age! And all the time we were learning how to march. Every morning all of the recruits had to parade in front of the main building. We were inspected for cleanliness and a good turn out. Our uniforms had to have been ironed before the parade – normally the evening before. Our boots had to be ‘bulled’. This was a process where the polish was worked for what seemed like hours to create an amazing shine. The recruits who had been guardsmen in the forces were the instructors to the rest of the class who had no idea how to achieve the best results. Then we practised for our passing out parade by marching up and down the parade ground and did traffic duty in time with the music. ‘Colonel Bogey’ got all our arms swinging in time –right arm left leg then left arm right leg. One unfortunate recruit from Norfolk couldn’t seem to get the co-ordination right and ended up with Sergeant Watkins marching behind him, each holding the ends of two billiard cues so that the miscreant’s arms were forced to move in the correct manner. It worked too because at our passing out parade we were perfect and were congratulated by the visitors and sergeants alike.

One of the many Passing Out Parades
During the last three weeks we had exams and everybody passed. The last exam was the one that I was dreading the most. Court Procedure. The whole class had to sit in the conference room. Sergeant Watkins and the Deputy Commandant were sitting at a table at the back of the room. In the front of the room there was a ‘witness box’. When each recruit was called he had to march to the back of the room, lay his book, open to show his evidence, on the table in front of the Deputy. He then had to say the name of the defendant and the case to be proved. After marching to the witness box he stood before the class and gave the oath on a bible that was there and gave his evidence. When completed he said ‘That Sir is my evidence’. And waited to be dismissed by the Deputy.

My stammer had caused some difficulties during the Course and Sergeant Watkins had reassured me that things would improve. However at the time of the Court Procedure exam I was stuttering on words starting with the letter ‘P’. Sergeant Watkins called my name. I stood up and marched to the table and tried to say ‘Pitt-Steele. Possessing a Part one Firearm without a certificate.’ I opened my mouth and nothing would come out. My mouth was opening and closing and still nothing came out. After what seemed like an age, Sergeant Watkins said, forcefully, ‘Right, stop. Now start again! Now!’ I did and the required words flowed out. When I got to the witness box I gave my evidence without any hesitation.

The day before the Passing Out Parade arrived. Most of our time was spent in civilian clothes practising for a final time and ironing our uniforms and shining our boots. Then in the evening we had a small party in the students bar. This would be the last time we would spend an evening there.

The guest started to arrive during the morning and we were told that The Chief Constable of Buckinghamshire Constabulary had requested the opportunity to talk to ‘his recruits’ in private after the actual parade. So the Brigadier was going to be there! The parade started at eleven and went off very successfully. The principal guest, the Chief Constable of Essex Police together with the Commandant, Deputy Commandant and our own Sergeant lecturers, inspected us. Then the music started and we knew what was expected. We quick marched up and down. We slow marched from side to side. We stopped and saluted. We spread out and did the traffic signals as though we were on traffic duty. Finally we marched past the ‘inspecting officer’ on a rostrum and all looked at him in the ‘eyes right’ position. Our sergeants were ecstatic. Every man had marched and paraded without a mistake, even P.C. Harcourt, the Norfolk officer who had found it so hard to co-ordinate his arms and legs. ‘Well done, all of you.’ said Sergeant Watkins, ‘Now, all the Bucks. men into the class room, quick!’ So Mike, Bryan, John and myself went to meet our chief. Firstly he congratulated us on the parade and then told each one us which station we were being posted to. Bryan and I were going to Aylesbury. John was going to High Wycombe and Mike was going to Slough where he lived with his wife. He spoke to each of us individually and said he would be following our progress with interest. We were the best recruits he had ever had. I thought he probably said that to all his recruits!

Course photograph May 1965

Course photograph above shows PC 275 David Baggott standing on the back row 4th from the left as you look at the photograph, PC Mike Hessy 1st on the left middle row, PC 392 Brian Hearn is 3rd from the left front row next to Sergeant Ken Watkins.

The following Monday the four new Police Constables, for we were now truly constables (although technically we were probationary constables) having ‘suffered’ thirteen weeks at the training school, again arrived at the Police Headquarters training department for two weeks ‘Local Procedure’ Course. This consisted of learning about forms and procedures peculiar to Buckinghamshire Constabulary. We also had a driving test which, we all, except for John who hadn’t got a driving licence then, anticipated passing and being authorised to drive police vehicles. Sergeant Potter, the driving examiner allowed us all to drive for half an hour each and at the end told us that we all needed some instruction. I was told I would need a day and Sergeant Potter said he would phone Aylesbury Station to arrange it. I was also told that I had been allocated a police house in Buckingham Road and that I should move in during the one week’s leave that we would all be having before starting at our stations.
The house turned out to be the oldest and consequently the most primitive house in the division. It did not have a bathroom. The bath was in the kitchen, with a large board over it and this was used as a kitchen shelf. This was very inconvenient as all the kitchen equipment stored on it had to be removed each time the bath was needed for it’s correct purpose. The house was semi detached with a flying freehold. This meant that one of the bedrooms was over the next door’s hallway and one of the next doors bedrooms was over our living room. It was a warm house and was convenient to the town so it suited it purpose. We had our furniture taken out of store and moved in so that I was ready for work when required.

Bryan moved into lodgings that had been provided and approved by the station sergeant at Aylesbury. A few years after he finished his probation and after he had married his long time sweetheart he later moved to the beat house at Wing. After about twelve months he realised that the police service in England was not the career for him and he emigrated to Australia.

Dave Baggott retired from Thames Valley Police on the 28th June 1991. He died on the 20th February 2012.

Below are various photographs from Eynsham Hall including a number of course photographs.

An amusing picture taken in April 1954
Two officers in training.
The Bucks officer is PC 497 Ernest Rowlands 5ft 8 in tall
and PC I.H. Kinnon City of London Police 6 ft 9 in tall.

Course Photograph taken around December 1948.

This photograph has four Bucks officers standing in the second row
(right to left as you look at the picture). The only one known is
PC Eric T.Hitchcock (second from the right).

Course Photograph taken September/October 1951

This photograph has three Bucks officers the only ones
still wearing the round neck tunics. Left to right as you look
at the picture front row is PC 62 Ronald H. Smith,
second row second in Bucks PC unknown to his left
PC 13 Raymond William Perrett.

This group photo was taken in March 1948.
This is not a course photograph as some of the Bucks officers joined at the end of 1947 and the others joined early 1948.

Front row from right to left as you look at the picture, PC 205 John Allanch (March 1948), PC 17 Lenoard Brooks (November 1947) and PC 263 Christopher Gills.

Back row from left to right. PC 81 John Smith (December 1947), PC 169 Ree Thomas Scholfield (February 1948) 4th from the left is PC 84 William Cullen (November 1947).

This photograph was taken in the 1940 exact date is not known.

The Sergeant third from the right, frnt row is
PC 25 Cyril Munger. Derectly behind him is a Bucks officer (name unknown).

Course 154 May to August 1959

Top row second from the left as you look at the picture,
PC 560 Leonard Woodley, fifth from the left PC Wilby
(no further details known). Second row first on the left PC 80 Ian Woodley

Course Passing out Parade August 1954

Course July 1954

Top row third from the left as you look at the picture
PC 470 Geoffrey Barrett, second row second from the left
PC 431 J. Carter and fifth from the left PC 496 Peter Clinch.

Course around July 1950

Bucks officers still in round neck tunic. Top row first on the right
as you look at the picture PC 473 Douglas Statham, second from t
he left PC 309 Melvin Eeles, Next row down third officer from the left
PC Bernard Green, next row down, last three officers left to right
PC 37 Blackney Chambers, PC 472 Harry Ross and PC 450 Viv Harris.
Front row Sergeant 436 Lance Brackett (round neck tunic).

Photograph of the Bucks officers from the photograph above right around July 1950.

Left to right as you look at the picture PC 473 Douglas Statham, PC 37 Blakney Chambers, PC 472 Harry Ross, PC 459 Viv Harris, PC 309 Melvin Eeles and PC 364 Bernard John Green.

Course in 1959

Centre row third from the left as you look at the picture Bucks officer (name unknown) fifth from the left PC 558 Archibald Cameron, second from the right Bucks officer (name unknown). Front row third from the left as you look at the picture PC 137 G. Bold and the Inspector in the middle is Reginald Bryant.

Course March 1950

Second row from the back first on the left as you look at the picture and first on the right Bucks officers (names unknown), Front row standing third and forth officers from the right Bucks officers (names unknown),
PC 450 Peter Stephens.

Physical Training March 1950

The only Bucks officer known at this time is PC 450 Peter Stephens (second row from the back third from the left as you look at the picture).

Physical Training June 1950 Class 4

Front row on the right as you look at the picture PC Scott
Next row back 4th from the left is PC 455 Harry Porter
Next row back from that PC 454 David Peterson
Group of three on the left back person PC 453 Colin Pemberton.

Course in June 1953

Front row first on the right as you look at the picture
PC 489 Ronald Barber. Middle row three Bucks officers,
first from the left PC 232 Richard A. Baldry third from the left and third from
the right (names unknown).

Course 198a January 1963

Second row first on the left as you look at the picture
PC 622 David Barton, forth from the right PC 625 Douglas Bull.
Front row third from the left PC 575 Peter Buckingham
and first on the right PC Peter Clarke.

Eynsham Hall March 1953

PC 485 John Shepherd, PC 38 Alfred Prytherch and PC 438 Ken Stone

October 1958

Back row left to right as you look at the picture third from the left
PC 501 Terry Lee. Second row fifth from the left PC 593 Colin Jeffrey,
first on the right PC 97 Ernie Wilcox. Front row third from the left
PC 218 Charlie McQuade, centre Sergeant Reginald Bryant.

June 1953

Middle row right to left as you look at the picture
PC 243 Fred Island, PC 33 David Brown, PC 134 Ron Hughes
and PC 128 James Elliott

January 1955

Second row first from the left as you look at the picture,
PC 140 David Williams other Bucks officers unknown.

July 1964

Back row first on the left as you look at the picture, PC 636 Wayne Grant.
Middle row third from the left PC 574 Malcolm Bowler.
Front row , second from the left PC Fuller (Essex),
Sergeant Harry Fuller (Drill Sergeant, Essex), Inspector Hill,
Sergeant Dennis Johnson (Class Instructor Beds)
and first on the right Jeffrey Ainsworth

September 1953

Names unknown

October 1967

Front row first on the right PC 620 John Pain (Bucks) third from the left Sergeant Gifford (Cambridgeshire) other Bucks officers names unknown.

October 1947

Second row from the front second left Bucks office name unknown

second from the right PC 92 Thomas Lineham

November 1964 to January 1965 Course 210"A"

Bucks Officers, back row left as you look at the photograph PC 427 Chris Esling,
front row first left PC 296 Malcolm Brice and second from the right PC 266 Alan Kirby.
Instructors front row left to right Sergeant Harry Fuller Drill Instructor (Essex), Inspector Stringer (Essex),
Sergeant Hutchinson (Beds) and Sergeant Mansfield, PT Instructor (Norfolk).

July to October 1964

The only Bucks Officer on this course is PC 564 John Stephens Middle Row far right as you look at the photograph. The two in civvies, back row, left PC Taylor (Beds) who broke his arm and was excued uniform and right PC Porter (Suffolk) who managed to go the whole 13 weeks without getting a uniform sent down that fitted him! Instructors left to right Sergeant Harry Fuller Drill & First Aid (Essex) Inspector (N/K) Sergeant Hutchinson (Beds)and Sergeant Mansfield (PTI)

13th December 1965 to 12th March 1966 Course 233 'F' Class

Course Instructor was Inspector Stanley W.Groves, (Bucks).
Front row PC T.Dickinson (South End on Sea) second on the left, PC N.Blower (Norfolk) 1st on the right. Back row PC  M.Race (Ipswich Borough)2nd from the right PC 110 A. Mayhew and PC E Varney (Bucks) 2nd and 4th from the left. PC  C.Cowie (Essex) 1st on the left. Middle row PC Alan Evers (Ipswich Borough)4th from the right, PC F.George (Gt Yarmouth)2nd from the right, PC H. Sale (Mid Anglia) 2nd from the left. Details from Alan Evers.

May 1957

Far left front row PC 117 Fergus Kemp Oxford City


Bucks Officers: Middle Row PC 598 Steve Taylor, 2nd from the right, PC 223 Brian Humphries, 2nd from the left, PC 649 Jim Reilly 3rd from right. Back Row PC 111 Jim Woods 3rd from the right. Northants Constabulary: PC 46 Adrian Letts, PC – Roger Percival, PC – M Bodsworth, PC 392 Dunkley . Essex: PC 919 Roy Smith ,PC 558 Faulkner, PC 886 P A Marriage ,PC 1336 J Wimbleton. Mid Anglia: PC 46 B Mooden, PC 79 Tony Rogers, PC 115 B J Wells, Norwich City: PC Dick Hollis. Southend on Sea: PC 138 J Townley. Norfolk: PC 437 Harper. Worcestershire: PC 466 Harefield and PC 3 A.J. Clark, Hertfordshire: PC 247 Peter Miller. Suffolk: PC 710 Geoff Bugg and PC 788 R.A.Damant. City of London: PC Stack.

If you recognise yourself or anyone else (no matter what Constabulary) in any of these photographs contact me at