Kelly’s Directory 1887

Castle Thorpe 1887

Castle Thorpe is a parish, and village with a station on the London and North Western railway, in the Northern division of the county, hundred petty sessional division, union, county court district of Newport Pagnell, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford, 54½ miles from London, 5 miles west-north-west from Newport Pagnell, 3½ north from Stony Stratford, 11 from Northampton, and 2½ north from Wolverton The river Tove separates the parish from Northamptonshire. The church of SS Simon and Jude stands in an elevated position on the border of the old Castle yard, and is an ancient edifice of stone consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, and low tower containing 1 bell; the chancel has been restored: the font is large and ancient, with figures at the corners: there is a handsome monument in the chancel to the memory of Sir Thomas Tyrrell, knt. a justice of the Common Pleas, who died March,1671 erected by his widow Dame Bridget Tyrrell: there are 150 sittings all free. The register dates from year 1530. The living is a chapelry, annexed to Hanslope, tithe rent-charge £75, joint gross yearly value £149, including 22 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1851 by the Rev. Mark Anthony Nicholson, M.A., LIC.THEOL. of Durham University, who resides at the Vicarage house Hanslope. An inscription on the monument above mentioned records that Dame Bridget Tyrrell gave £10 yearly to the poor of the place, which has been invested in the purchase of 18 acres of land, producing £36 yearly, and by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners this sum is applied as follows: a portion for keeping in repair the nave of the church £1 for an annual sermon on March 8th in memory of Sir Thomas Tyrrell, and the remainder in doles for the poor. The castle, in the yard of which the church stands, was anciently the seat of the Maudits; it was demolished about 1217 by Foulke de Brent, when it was garrisoned against King John by William Maudit, one of the rebellious barons: in 1663 it became the property of Sir Thomas Tyrrell knt.; the house occupied by him stood near the castle, some portions of which still remain and are now occupied as tenements by labourers. Edward Hanslope Watts esq. J.P. of Hanslope Park, is lord of the manor. Lord Carrington is the principal landowner and the Corporation of Lincoln are the tithe owners The parish was enclosed in 1793 by Act of Parliament . The soil is mixed; subsoil, stone and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,380 acres; rateable value £9,655
National School, built in 1867, for 70 children; average attendance, 56; Miss Isabella Smith, mistress.

Surname Forename Occupation
WIGLESWORTH James H. F. Langton House

AMOS Thomas farmer & maltster
COMPTON James greengrocer
COMPTON Joseph butcher
GREGORY Ann shopkeeper (Mrs)
HARRIS Henry gardener
HARRIS John blacksmith
PIKE William farmer
RAINBOW Rebecca sub-postmistress
STUBBS Matthew coal & builder's merchant
TOOTH Jane butcher (Mrs)
VARNEY Robert Carrington Arms P.H. & farmer
WHITING Henry farmer
WHITING Joseph Evans miller (water) & farmer

SMITH Isabella school mistress (Miss)
RICHARDSON Joseph station master
PARISH CLERK Joseph Compton
Eakins, to Northampton, St. John Street Tues. & Sat. at 8 a.m.; Newport Pagnell, Wed.; Stony Stratford Fri.
POST OFFICE. Mrs Rebecca Rainbow, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Stony Stratford at 7.20 a.m.; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Hanslope
POPULATION 1881 - 329