Kelly’s Directory 1891

Castle Thorpe 1891

Castle Thorpe is a village and parish separated from Northamptonshire by the river Tove, with a station on the London and North Western railway, 54½ miles from London, 5 miles west-north-west from Newport Pagnell, 3½ north from Stony Stratford, 11 from Northampton, and 2½ north from Wolverton in the Northern division of the county, hundred petty sessional division, union, county court district of Newport Pagnell, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford. The church of the Virgin Mary stands in an elevated position on the border of the old Castle yard, and is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays and aisles, west porch and a low embattled western tower with pinnacles containing one bell: the church has been restored: the font is large and ancient, with two human heads at the two western corners: there is a handsome monument in the chancel to Sir Thomas Tyrrell, knt. a justice of the Common Pleas, who died March,1671 erected by his widow Dame Bridget Tyrrell: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1530. The living is a chapelry, annexed to Hanslope, tithe rent-charge £75, joint gross yearly value £149, including £22 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1851 by the Rev. Mark Anthony Nicholson, M.A., L.Th. of Durham University, who resides at the Vicarage house Hanslope. The curate in charge is the Rev. William Hawksley Westall, of Magdalen College, Cambridge. An inscription on the monument above mentioned records that Dame Bridget Tyrrell gave £10 yearly to the poor of the place, which has been invested in the purchase of 18 acres of land, producing £36 yearly, and by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners this sum is applied as follows: half for keeping in repair the nave of the church, £1 for an annual sermon to be preached on March 8th in memory of Sir Thomas Tyrrell, and the remainder in doles for the poor. Here is a Wesleyan chapel restored in 1888. Edward Hanslope Watts esq. J.P. of Hanslope Park, is lord of the manor. Lord Carrington is the principal landowner and the Corporation of Lincoln are the tithe owners. The parish was enclosed in 1793 by Act of Parliament. The soil is mixed; subsoil, stone and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,380 acres; rateable value £9,721
National School, built and presented by the late Lord Carrington in 1867, for 70 children; average attendance 50; Miss Annie Gregory, mistress.

Surname Forename Occupation
WESTALL William Hawkesley rev. (curate-in-charge)
WIGLESWORTH James Henry Langton House

AMOS Thomas farmer & maltster
COMPTON James greengrocer
COMPTON Joseph butcher
GREGORY Ann shopkeeper (Mrs)
HARRIS Henry gardener
HARRIS John blacksmith
PIKE William farmer
RAINBOW Rebecca sub-postmistress
STUBBS Matthew coal & builder's merchant
TOOTH Jane butcher (Mrs)
VARNEY Robert Carrington Arms P.H. & farmer
WHITING Joseph Evans miller (water) & farmer

GREGORY Annie school mistress (Miss)
DAY Arthur station master
PARISH CLERK Joseph Compton 
. Eakins, to Northampton, St. John Street Tues. & Sat. at 8 a.m.; Newport Pagnell, Wed.; Stony Stratford Fri.
POST OFFICE. Mrs Rebecca Rainbow, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Stony Stratford at 7.20 a.m.; dispatched at 8 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Hanslope
POPULATION 1881 - 329