Kelly’s Directory 1928

Castle Thorpe 1928

Castle Thorpe is a village and parish separated from Northamptonshire by the river Tove, with a station on the main line of the London and Midland Scotish railway, 54½ miles from London, 7½ miles west-north-west from Newport Pagnell, 4 north from Stony Stratford, 11 from Northampton, and 3½ north from Wolverton in, the Buckingham division of the county, hundred petty sessional division, union, county court district of Newport Pagnell, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford. The church of SS. Simon and Jude stands within the enceinte of a large earthwork, consisting of a mount and bailey fortress, held in the days of King John by Maudiut, from whom it was captured by Fulk de Bret during the Wars of the Barons: it is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Transitional and latter styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays and aisles, west porch and a low embattled western tower with pinnacles containing one bell: the font is large and ancient, with two human heads at the two western corners: and there are sedilia and a piscina: in the chancel is a monument to Sir Thomas Tyrrell, knt. a justice of the Common Pleas, who died March,1671 erected by his 3rd wife and widow Dame Bridget (Harrington): there are 180 sittings. The register dates from year 1562. The living is a chapelry, annexed to Hanslope, joint net yearly value £350, including 21 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Jardine Harkness M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who resides at Hanslope. Near the entrance to the churchyard is an obelisk, erected in 1921, at a cost of about £240, as a memorial to the men connected with the parish, who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918; inscribed on the front are the names of the fallen, and on the other three sides, the names of those who served in that war. An inscription on the monument above mentioned records that Dame Bridget Tyrrell gave £10 yearly to the poor of the place, which has been invested in the purchase of 18 acres of land, producing £36 yearly, and by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners this sum is applied as follows: half for keeping in repair the nave of the church £1 for an annual sermon on March 8th in memory of Sir Thomas Tyrrell, and the remainder in doles for the poor. Here is a Wesleyan chapel restored in 1888.The estate of Castlethorpe, granted by Charles II in 1663 to Sir Thomas Tyrrell, is now held by Mrs. Watts who is lady of the manor. The Marquis of Lincoln K.G., P.C., G.C.M.G. is the principal landowner and the Corporation of Lincoln are the tithe owners The parish was enclosed in 1793 by Act of Parliament. The soil is mixed; subsoil, stone and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,360 acres of land and 12 of water; assessable value £8,339
Elementary School, built in 1891, for 140 children; Harry H. Middleton, master; Miss M. Cook girls' mistress; Miss D. Lack, infants' mistress.

Surname Forename Occupation

The Old Cottage (Mrs)
CANNON John James
RICHARDSON Edward Sunnyside
Marked thusº farm 150 acres or over

CLARKE William George farmer
CLARKE William Thomas florist
COOK George Arthur shopkeeper
COOK Harry Percy fruit grower
GOBBY Elizabeth sub-postmistress
coal merchants (Bros.)
GREGORY Janie shopkeeper (Miss)
HALL John coal merchant
HINDERLEYº William farmer, Lower Lodge
MARKHAMº Ellen farmers (Mrs) & Sons
MARKHAM William David farmer, Glenmore Farm
PENNY Edmond Jn. M.D. Brux., M.R.C.S.Eng. physcn, (attends Mon, Wed & Fri.)
POWELL Edward shopkeeper
POWELL Frederick John Carrington Arms P.H.
SMITH William H. painter
WHITING Benjamin S. dairy farmer, Maltings Farm
WHITINGº Joseph Evans farmer, Home Farm
WILLETT Albert shopkeeper
WILLINGHAM William coal dealer

MIDDLETON Harry H. school master
COOK M. girls' mistress (Miss)
LACK D. J. infants' mistress (Miss)
WENLOCK Thomas W. station master
Post, M.O. & T. & T. E. D. (to places within a limited distance) . Mrs Elizabeth Gobbey, sub-post-mistress. Letters through Stony Stratford.
POPULATION 1921 - 463