Moving into the base of the tower on the south wall are two fire hooks.
These fire hooks are about 30 feet long.
They were used to pull burning thatch from roofs to prevent fire spreading to adjacent properties. They were attached to horses that dragged the whole of the thatch off. They were last used in 1840.
Access to the tower is through this door in the northwest corner.