Buildings in Hanslope
28 Park Road

  building to right


This listed building is thought to have been built in the early 19th century, possibly reusing materials from an earlier building which is shown on a map of 1779.

Deeds provide evidence of the owners and some tenants of the property since the late 17th century when the property was owned by the Coldwell family whose descendants, through the female line, retained ownership after leaving the village until William Smart sold in 1802.  The property was then held by two generations of Elkins and three of the Bishop family before being purchased in 1878 by John Branson.  The Branson family still own and occupy the house.  Several members of the family have been builders and over the years they have extensively modified and extended the house from its original 2-room per floor, 3-floor layout.  Throughout the period, only a few acres of land was transferred with the house.

There is an unresolved inconsistency between the deeds and the architectural evidence.  Deeds of 1833 and 1862 clearly indicate that the property was divided into two cottages, whereas the architectural evidence is that the existing house dates from the early 19th century as a single dwelling.  Census returns are consistent with there being two families living in this area.  It is not clear whether the house could have been divided, or whether there may have been a second dwelling on the site, since demolished.

Branson family hand-down is that in 1870s John Samson, a veterinary surgeon, was working from this house, probably as a tenant.

Listed building

The building was listed in 1984 with listing particulars as follows.

Farmhouse. Early C19. 3 storeys, 3 bays with, to right 2 storey, 2 bay brick wing. Rubblestone, flush, dressed quoins, slate roof, flanking chimneys. 4 pane sash-windows and 4 panel central door, rectangular fanlight, in architrave surround under flat hood on brackets.
  building to right

The following photographs are available.  Click on a thumbnail to view full image or click see larger images here.

28 Rark Road c1900

28 Rark Road c2006

28 Park Road from the air, 1940

Park Road Farm in 2010
  building to right

No survey information can be found.

  building to right

No history can be found.

  building to right

The following people are associated with 28 Park Road:

Name Year of Birth Year of Interest Source Occupation/Notes Probability
Thomas Smart   1779 Maps  owner  90%
Thomas Smart   1779 Survey 1779  Owner  90%
John Sansom 1823  1871 Census  Veterinary Surgeon  50%
John Branson 1830  1881 Census  Bricklayer (Master)  30%
John Branson 1829  1891 Census  Builder Master  90%
John Branson 1830  1901 Census  Bricklayer  95%
Ann Branson   1910 Revenue Survey  Owner/occupier  100%
Lovell Branson 1875  1911 Census  Bricklayer  100%
Lovell Branson   1918 Election Register  at Park Road  90%
Ada Louise Branson   1918 Election Register  at Park Road  90%
Sidney Thomas Branson   1939 Election Register  at 28 Park Road  100%
Edward Lovell Branson   1939 Election Register  at 28 Park Road   100%
Ada Louise Branson   1939 Election Register  at 28 Park Road   100%
13 records displayed.
In the above list of people, to find all references to a person, click on the Name of the person. 
To obtain further information on one entry, click on the Source for that entry.
Probability indicates transcribers' assessment that person listed is associated with the building on this page.

Building to right