Buildings in Hanslope
Maltings Farm

Building to left   building to right

The architectural evidence for the date of construction is consistent with the 1624 on a date stone on the front of the house.  The house has some particularly high quality architectural detail for a small house with a two-room ground floor plan.

The house was owned by the Bishop family in the late 18th and early 19th century, from before 1779 until at least 1861. Both Christopher and his son James were maltsters.

At some time after that date the property was acquired by EH Watts, and the house was tennanted by builder John Rose who appears in censuses from 1871 until his death in 1916.

By 1918 the house was occupied by Charles and Ruth Adams. In 1934 Frederick Joseph Brown moved into the house and he farmed Gridiron Close and some other fields.

Hesketh estates acquired the property from the Watts about 1939. The adjoining malthouse was demolished sometime in the 1950s. In the 1960s Frederick Brown's son Dennis bought the freehold of the house and the land was sold separately.


Listed building

The building was listed in 1984 with listing particulars as follows.

SP 84 NW HANSLOPE NEWPORT ROAD 4/87 Malting Farmhouse - - II House. Dated 1624, altered. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Coursed rubblestone with ironstone dressings. Coped gable ends with kneelers. Flanking stacks. Concrete plain roof tiles. Modern 3-light casements replace stone mullioned windows, the ironstone drip moulds of which remain. Date panel between upper windows 'H.H.A. 1624'. 2 storey rear range. RCHM II 137 MON. 6
Building to left   building to right
Click to show only thumbnails of images.

Maltings Farm House in about 1910.

The gentleman on the right is believed to be Johnny Rose and the lady in the middle of the group his wife Sarah.

In May 2006

The thatch was replaced with tile c1945.

From The Green in 2006 The following is taken from a survey of the interior conduced in 2008.

The present rear wing seems to be a rebuild of a single bay rear service room (evidenced by relict quoins on the NE side of the rear wing). This has been rebuilt and extended in both brick and stone at various times, ending in a barn and stable. It is not clear whether this short rear bay is original to the 1624 structure, but the lack of service accommodation within the front block suggests it was.

Building to left   building to right

No survey information can be found.

Building to left   building to right

The following people are associated with Maltings Farm:

Name Year of Birth Year of Interest Source Occupation/Notes Probability
Maltings Farm 
John Rose 1836  1891 Census  Builder  85%
John Rose 1836  1901 Census  Builder  95%
John Rose   1910 Revenue Survey  Tenant  90%
John Rose 1838  1911 Census  Farmer  100%
Cottage by Maltings  
David Richardson 1823  1891 Census  Bailiff  40%
Ebenezer Keeves 1872  1901 Census  Genl. Laborer Ry. Works  70%
Ebenezer Keeves   1910 Revenue Survey  Tenant  60%
William Keaves 1887  1911 Census  Farm labourer  60%
whole building 
Christopher Bishop   1779 Maps  owner  100%
Christopher Bishop   1779 Survey 1779  Owner  100%
James Bishop   1818 Survey 1818  Owner  80%
James Lane 1806  1841 Census  Ag.Lab.  30%
Caroline Bishop 1775  1851 Census  Grocer  30%
Caroline Bishop 1775  1861 Census  Superan.  40%
John Rose 1837  1871 Census  Plumber  30%
John Rose 1835  1881 Census  Plumber & Glazier (Master): 2 apprentices  30%
E H Watts   1910 Revenue Survey  Owner  90%
Ruth Adams   1918 Election Register  at Church End  100%
Charles Adams   1918 Election Register  at Church End  100%
Frederick Brown   1939 Election Register  at Malting Farm,   100%
20 records displayed.
Notes:
In the above list of people, to find all references to a person, click on the Name of the person. 
To obtain further information on one entry, click on the Source for that entry.
Probability indicates transcribers' assessment that person listed is associated with the building on this page.

Building to left Building to right