From Railway line to Railway Walk
The line from Wolverton to Newport Pagnell came into operation in 1866 as part of the London and North Western Railway. It was used for running a goods train.
Passenger travel commenced a year later in 1867 and was used mainly for workers to commute from Newport Pagnell, Great Linford and New Bradwell to Wolverton where they worked either in the Railway Works or McCorquodales Printing Works. Shoppers travelled to Newport Pagnell for the nearest Woolworths! The engine was known locally as the ‘Nobby Newport’
The line sadly closed in 1964.
With the closing of the line it became an ideal opportunity, when the tracks were removed, to tarmac the old line from Wolverton to Newport Pagnell as part of the Redway cycle system. Railway Walk has become a popular cycle route from Wolverton to Stantonbury, Great Linford and Newport Pagnell and a pleasant walk on a Sunday afternoon.
It is also well used by cyclists and walkers.