Number 16 Market Place was the Rose and Crown Public House, kept by the Revis family for over a hundred years. Mrs Sarah Revis, widow of Tom Revis, was landlady until 1809 when it passed to a John Revis. He was followed for seven years by three ‘outsiders’ and then in 1830, the inn returned to the family when a Tom Revis became landlord. In 1844 the landlord was John Howkins Revis, but in the 1841 Census John Brown is listed as Victualler; he was probably a tenant. George Revis was the last recorded Revis landlord.
The Census Returns of 1861 and 1871 record William Marriott as landlord of the Rose and Crown. Previously, in 1851, he had been landlord of the Saracen’s Head. William Hipwell, the local brewer, owned the premises in 1872. By 1883 James Andrews was the landlord and also appeared to have had a shop on the premises. By 1887 Jonathan Drage was the publican and continued to be so until the Rose and Crown’s closure around the turn of the 20th Century. The 1891 Census confirms Jonathan Drage as the innkeeper. Afterwards it became shop premises.
J M Law ran the Boot Mart from this building in 1902 and 1903. She was followed by the butchers, Eastman, from 1907. The 1910 Inland Revenue Survey records the owner as L Thompson and L Eastman as the tenant, whilst the 1911 Census indicates that the Mark Gooday was the butcher in residence with his family.
Lewis Rogers ran a bakery in 1931 having transferred the business from Number 17, next door. Later, William Crouch had a fishmongery business there. The 1936 Register of Electors records a grocer Theophilus Richard Maynard living there with Eric John Maynard and Ellen Louise Maynard.
By 1939 Wilfred Vincent Turner with his wife Mabel Mary had begun their hardware business there. This business continued to develop and expand over the years with their son Roy (to include Number 17) well beyond the start of the 21C.
Associated images and advertisements:
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society