Number 23 Market Place was possibly the home of Miss Elizabeth Smith from about 1810 through to the late 1840s, and she was styled ‘Independent’ and ‘Gentry’ in the 1841Census and an 1844 Directory. In 1883 it was certainly the home of John Aspray, a ropemaker. Five years later, John Binyon lived there.
The 1891 Census lists Jane Asprey at Number 23 ‘living on own means’. In 1895 another Aspray was in residence, one William James. He ran the bakery and confectionery business next door at Number 24.
In 1912 Mr Harry Armstrong the owner of the ‘Lace Factory’ moved out.
Dr Claude Lionel Chevallier moved into Number 23 in 1922 and a Miss Hardy resided there in 1924.
Mr J J Garner bought the house in 1936. In that year it was let to Mr and Mrs Smith, then in 1937 to Mr and Mrs Mosely and in 1940 to Mr Dundonald Cooke. The 1951 Register of Electors lists Neta Rosalina Jacques and Dundonald S H Cooke residing at Number 23.
Associated images and advertisements:
No additional relevant images or advertisements are available at present.
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society