At the beginning of the nineteeth century Number 13 Market Place, known as ‘Westlands’, was lived in by Mr Soul. Previously it was once occupied by the Minister of the Baptist church, the Reverend John Sutcliffe, before his marriage.
William Andrews was the owner of Number 13 at the time of the second and third levies (1810/11 and 1833). A young maltster, Alfred Brooks, occupied the property in 1841. By the time of the 1851 Census, Thomas Welton, a Reverend gentleman of 65 years described himself as ‘a Clerk without a cure of Souls’. He lived there with his young wife Elizabeth (33) together with a cook and a housemaid.
Hipwells, the local Brewers, owned the property towards the end of the nineteenth century. Probably William and Sarah Hipwell and their children moved into Westlands in 1866 when they vacated the Bull Hotel (see Number 8). The 1891 Census lists Sarah Hipwell, three daughters, a son and a granddaughter living at Westlands. Presumably William had died before then.
The end gable in the above photograph was built in around 1890 when he had purchased and demolished Number 12 (see Number 12). It wasn’t until the late 1930s that the garden to the south of the gable was donated to the Baptist church so that a front entrance to the church could be constructed.
The 1910 Inland Revenue Survey records place this property in the High Street and suggest that Sarah Hipwell was the owner/occupier of Westlands. The 1911 Census also records a High Street address with Sarah (aged 86), her son Samuel Edgar and daughter Florence May residing there. The 1936 Register of Electors lists Florence May Hipwell and Samuel Edgar Hipwell living at Westlands, along with three other residents.
The 1951 Register of Electors lists Henry Charles Pugh and Frederica Pugh living at Westlands.
Associated images and advertisements:
Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society