Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1915

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1915

SHERINGTON, in Domesday " Serintone," is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney and separated from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell by the river Ouse which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, 2 miles north from Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and Newport Pagnell branch of the London and North Western railway and 4 south from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the Midland railway and 11 west from Bedford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Laud the Martyr, seated on an eminence, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower containing 5 bells and a clock: the nave arcades, one Early Decorated and the other of a later period have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals; the tower is good Perpendicular, and there is a fine west window of five lights of the same date; the east window is Decorated, other chancel windows are Perpendicular; in the north-east buttress of the tower is a Decorated window pierced through and looking towards the altar; on the handle of the porch door are the arms of Dr. William Barrow, rector 1406, and afterwards bishop of Bangor and Carlisle: the church was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, net income 300, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Henry Arthur Gilbert Blomefield M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Here is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1810. and seating 200, and a Wesleyan chapel. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as follows, viz.: 1 for a sermon; 5s. each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. There are three manors in the parish; F. A. Konig esq holds one and is the principal landowner, the others are held by the trustees of the late George Alfred U. Nelson esq. and the Mercers' Company of the City of London. The soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,799 acres of land and 6 of water; assessable value, 1,825; population in 1911, 496.

Parish Clerk, Albert Norman

Post Office. - Miss Ellen L. Feasey, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Newport Pagnell at 6.20 & 11.40 a.m.; dispatched at 9.10 & 9.45 a.m. and 12.25 & 7.15 p.m.; sundays, box closed at 11.40 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Newport Pagnell, 2 miles distant.

Elementary School, built in 1872, at a cost of 900, for 105 children; William Powell, master; Mrs. Webster, infants' mistress.

Police Constable, Albert Barnett

Allfrey Major Frank E. The Laurels
Blomefield Rev. Henry Arthur Gilbert M.A. (rector), Rectory
Cranfield Walter, Pearcey cottage
Rogers Mrs. Radnor villa
Russell Joseph Rushforth W. G. Sherington bridge
Saner Edward John, Sherington lodge
Sansom William (Cong. evangelist)
Taylor Mrs. Manor house

Austin Abel, dairyman
Boone Frederick, shopkeeper
Burgess Jn. Thos. frmr.Yew Tree frm
Cowley Arthur, farmer
Field Fredk. John, maltster & farmer
Fisher Harry, school attendance officer, Ash cottage
Fleet Ernest, butcher
Gardner Ellen (Mrs.), farmer
Graves John Wm. farmer, Water lane
Groom William, blacksmith
Hickson Fredk. Arthur, dog fancier
Hickson William Thomas, butcher
Higgins George, Swan P.H
Hine George James, coach builder
Jefferson Eliza. (Mrs.), farmer, Mercer's farm
Labrum Robert, jobmaster
Line Frederick, beer retailer
Lloyd Thos. Ivester, artist, The Nest
Mainwaring James Wilson, White Hart P.H
Norman Albert, market gardener
Norman Joseph, market gardener
Oldham & Co. mineral water manfrs
Petts Joseph, market gardener
Reynolds George E. farmer
Rose Henry George, builder
Rush Samuel, carpenter
Smith Clara Mary Ann (Miss), laundry
Smith William Henry, surveyor of highways to Newport Pagnell Rural District Council
Tillyard William George, grazier
Weeks William, farmer
West Henry, cowkeeper
Wadsworth Frederick, Crown & Castle P.H
Worthington Alice(Miss), parish nurse


Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1911 - Kelly 1920


Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007