Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1920

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1920

SHERINGTON, in Domesday " Serintone," is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney and separated from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell by the river Ouse which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, 2 miles north from Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and Newport Pagnell branch of the London and North Western railway and 4 south from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the Midland railway and 11 west from Bedford, in the Buckingham division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Laud the Martyr, seated on an eminence, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower containing 5 bells and a clock: the nave arcades, one Early Decorated and the other of a later period have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals; the tower is good Perpendicular, and there is a fine west window of five lights of the same date; the east window is Decorated, other chancel windows are Perpendicular; in the north-east buttress of the tower is a Decorated window pierced through and looking towards the altar; on the handle of the porch door are the arms of Dr. William Barrow, rector 1406, and afterwards bishop of Bangor and Carlisle: the church was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, net income 300, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Henry Arthur Gilbert Blomefield M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Here is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1810. and seating 200, and a Wesleyan chapel. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as follows, viz.: 1 for a sermon; 5s. each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. There are three manors in the parish; Mr. John Thomas Burgess holds one, the others are held by Col. Owen Williams and Mrs. Eliza Jefferson. Tbe soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,799 acres of land and 6 of water; assessable value, 1,992; population in 1911, 496.

Parish Clerk, Albert Norman

Post Office. - Miss Ellen L. Feasey, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Newport Pagnell which is the nearest money order & telegraph officel, 2 miles distant.

Elementary School, built in 1872, at a cost of 900, for 105 children; Albert E. Garrettl, master; Mrs. A. E. Garrett, infants' mistress

Police Constable, Edwin Stevens

Motor omnibus to & from Bedford to Newport Pagnell passes through the village three times week days and twice sundays.

Allfrey Col. Frank E. The Laurels
Blomefield Rev. Henry Arthur Gilbert M.A. (rector), Rectory
Cooke-Yarborough Mrs. Sherington lo
Cranfield Walter, Pearcey cottage
Rogers Mrs. Radnor villa
Russell Joseph Rushforth W. G. Sherington bridge
Taylor Mrs. Manor house

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over
Boone Frederick, shopkeeper
*Burgess Jn. Thos. farmer, Church End farm
Clarke William, blacksmith
Cowley Arthur, farmer
Feasey Ellen L. (Miss), corn dealer & sub-postmistress
*Field Fredk. farmer, Church farm
Fisher Harry, mentally deficient officer, Ash cottage
Fleet Ernest, horse dealer
*Gardner Dudley, farmer, Water Lane farm
*Gardner Ellen (Mrs.), farmer, Home farm
Green Victor, Swan inn
Hickson Fredk. Arthur, dog fancier
Hickson Sarah Maria (Mrs.), butcher
Hine George James, coach builder
*Jefferson Eliza. (Mrs.), farmer, Mercer's farm
Labrum Robert, jobmaster
Lloyd Thos. Ivester, artist, The Nest
Mainwaring James Wilson, White Hart P.H
Middleweek Philip Lang, farmer, Yew Tree farm
Norman Joseph, market gardener
Oldham & Co. mineral water manfrs
Petts Joseph, market gardener
Reynolds George E. farmer
Rose Henry George, builder
Rush Samuel, carpenter
Smith Clara Mary Ann (Miss), laundry
Smith William Henry, surveyor of highways to Newport Pagnell Rural District Council
Tillyard William George, grazier
Wadsworth Frederick, Crown & Castle P.H
West Henry, cowkeeper
Worthington Alice(Miss), parish nurse


Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1915 - Kelly 1924


Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007