Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1924

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1924

SHERINGTON, in Domesday " Serintone," is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney and separated from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell by the river Ouse which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, 2 miles north from Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and Newport Pagnell branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway and 4 south from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the same railway and 11 west from Bedford; it is in the Buckingham division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district and rural deanery of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckinghaml and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Laud the Martyr, seated on an eminence, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower containing 5 bells and a clock: the nave arcades, one Early Decorated and the other of a later period have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals; the tower is good Perpendicular, and there is a fine west window of five lights of the same date; the east window is Decorated, other chancel windows are Perpendicular; in the north-east buttress of the tower is a Decorated window pierced through and looking towards the altar; there is a stone tablet in memory of 11 men of this parish who lost their lives in the Great War 1914-18; on the handle of the porch door are the arms of Dr. William Barrow, rector 1406, and afterwards bishop of Bangor and Carlisle: the church was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, net income 300, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Henry Arthur Gilbert Blomefield M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1810. and seating 200, and a Wesleyan chapel. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as follows, viz.: 1 for a sermon; 5s. each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. There are three manors in the parish, held respectively by Mr. John Thomas Burgess, Col. Owen Williams and Mrs. Eliza Jefferson. Tbe soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,799 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, 2,981; population in 1911, 496.

Parish Clerk, Walter Wright

Post Office. - Miss Ellen L. Feasey, sub-postmistress.
Letters through Newport Pagnell, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 2 miles distant.

Elementary School, built in 1872, at a cost of 900, for 105 children; Albert E. Garrett, master; Mrs.A. E. Garrett, infants' mistress

Police Constable, Edwin Stevens

Motor omnibus to & from Bedford to Newport Pagnell passes through the village three times week days and twice sundays.

Allfrey Col. Frank E. The Laurels T N 61Y3
Blomefield Rev. Henry Arthur Gilbert M.A. (rector), Rectory
Cranfield Miss, Pearcey cottage
Moslin Herbert, Radnor villa
Russell Joseph Rushforth W. G. Sherington bridge
Sams Mrs. Sherington lodge
Taylor Major Jn. W. Manor ho T N 61Y1
Taylor Mrs. Manor house T N 61Y1

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over
Bailey Thomas, builder, Water lane
Boone Frederick, shopkeeper
*Burgess Jn. Thos. farmer, Church End farm T N 61X1
Clarke William, blacksmith
Cowley Arthur, farmer
Crowther Thomas Henry, poultry farmer
Feasey Ellen L. (Miss), corn dealer & sub-postmistress
*Field Fredk. Jn. farmer, Church frm
Fisher Harry, mentally deficient officer, Ash cottage
Fleet Ernest, horse dealer T N 61X2
*Gardner Dudley, farmer, Water Lane farm
*Gardner Ellen (Mrs.), frmr, Home frm
Green Victor, Swan inn
Hickson Fredk. Arthur, dog fancier
Hickson Sarah Maria (Mrs.), butcher T N 61X3
Hine George James, coach builder
Hooton Wm. Thos. Crown & Castle P.H
*Jefferson Eliza. (Mrs.), farmer, Mercer's farm
Jones R. boot repairer
Labrum Robert, jobmaster
Lloyd Thos. Ivester, artist, The Nest
Mainwaring James Wilson, White Hart P.H
Middleweek Philip Lang, farmer, Yew Tree farm
Norman Joseph, market gardener
Oldham & Co. mineral water manfrs T N 61Y2
Peach & Stone, nurserymen T N 49
Pikesley James, carpenter
Rush Samuel, carpenter
Smith Clara Mary Ann (Miss), laundry
Smith William Henry, surveyor of highways to Newport Pagnell Rural District Council
Tillyard William George, grazier
West Henry, cowkeeper
Worthington Alice(Miss), parish nurse


Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1920 - Kelly 1928


Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007