Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

June 2011

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th June 2011 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs D Keene (Chair), D Hyde, J Ager, M Northfield, I Thomson and A Denman (arrived 7.40pm)

ALSO ATTENDING: Wendy Austyn (Clerk) and 1 member of the public


Cllr Northfield declared an interest as co-chairman of the Shopco committee; Cllr Hyde declared an interest in the planning application for 17 Crofts End.

The minutes of the meeting held on 10th May 2011 were agreed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.

TThe Clerk has received an interest in the vacancy. It was agreed to double check the criteria for suitable candidates and see if any further interest is received. ACTION: Clerk


5.1 Dogs on Lead signs. The clerk has obtained these from the MKC recommended supplier. It was agreed to place them at each end of both play areas in suitable locations. ACTION: Clerk

5.2 Petsoe End Wind Farm. Your Energy has requested a member of Sherington Parish Council be on the committee, chaired by Paul Flowers of Emberton, that distributes this fund. It was agreed that a councillor would be present at meetings as appropriate. Clerk to contact Paul Flowers. ACTION: Clerk

5.3 Freedom of Information. The village website manage has reminded the council that it should be publicising what parish council information is available, from where and at what cost. The clerk will complete the forms as appropriate for publication on the website. It was agreed that only any exceptional requests for time or photocopying would result in a cost to the requestor. ACTION: Clerk


Cllr Northfield reported that the planning application for a temporary building has been submitted and an Ordnance Survey site map has been requested along with a reduced fee of £167.50 instead of £335. Various public donations amounting to several thousand pounds have so far been gratefully received and a funding application has now been made to Plunkett Foundation. Shopco have been invited to the opening of the new shop at Frensham, where the temporary building is still available for sale. This project was recently the subject of an article in both MK News and on Anglia News. ACTION: Cllr Northfield


Cllr Ager advised he has now submitted a draft version of the updated plan to the clerk and chairman for perusal, which will then be circulated amongst all councillors for comments. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Keene


The clerk is still in the process of obtaining more quotes for bridge improvements and a finger post. Cllr Keene will measure the distance from the High St for the sign. It was agreed to leave the current barrier fence as any pushchairs or wheel chairs are likely to use the pavement for access rather than the fields. Cllr Keene will arrange mowing, spraying and stile weeding with Peter Crook, as agreed in the budget. ACTION: Clerk, Cllr Keene


9.1 Monthly Balances Enterprise Account £2727.76; Treasurer Account £23041.51

9.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

10/05/2011Cancelled Cancelled £522.00 101905
01/06/2011Milton Keynes Council Shop planning application fee £167.50 101906
07/06/2011Sherington Village Hall Hall hire £22.00 101907
07/06/2011Noel Gotts Audit fee £75.00 101908
07/06/2011Zurich Insurance Insurance £1,200.94 101909
07/06/2011E.ON Electricity for pavilion £100.64 101910
07/06/2011A H Contracts Dog bins £105.00 101911
07/06/2011Community Impact Bucks Subs replace chq 101873 £30.00 101912
07/06/2011Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker/bookings £100.00 101913
07/06/2011Wendy Austyn Clerk's salary £208.76 101914
07/06/2011Wendy Austyn Clerk's expenses £29.03 101915
07/06/2011Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £42.00 101916

9.3 Insurance renewal The clerk has switched the insurance policy to Zurich Insurance at a significant discount from last year as the previous insurer declined to reduce its renewal price.

9.4 Annual Return Following completion of the internal audit the chairman signed the Annual Return for year 2010/11 which will now be submitted to the external auditor. ACTION: Clerk

9.5 New HMRC guidelines regarding employer status and clerk's PAYE The clerk has contacted the SLCC and is awaiting a response. The parish council has now been registered as an employer and the clerk must be paid using PAYE either by using a payroll service or the HMRC online facility. Before making a decision it was agreed to contact MKC and other clerks to see what other parish councils are doing. This subject was raised at the recent NECAF meeting. ACTION: Clerk


10.1. 11/00937/FUL. 10 Crofts End - Demolition of existing lean-to structure and construction of two single storey extensions. There were no adverse comments.

10.2. 11/00979/FUL 17 Crofts End - Erection of a two storey front extension, and single storey front extension. There were no adverse comments.

10.3. 11/01162/FUL 26 Park Road - Erection of a detached garage. There were no adverse comments.

10.4. Decisions. The application for Alban Hill Nursery has been permitted.


11.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Denman reported that new soffit lighting for the pavilion will be too low and vulnerable to damage; he instead suggested a vandal proof column light at the base of the steps that would use low voltage lighting at night. Cllr Denman will obtain an estimate of cost for this and it was agreed to leave the issue of lighting up the whole car park for the time being. Volunteers are still needed for the fete on 2nd July and the parish council agreed on principle to donate £200 for the hire of toilets and provision of music. The Youth Club have agreed to tidy up the recreation ground on 22nd June, and Cllr Denman agreed to obtain a skip for this date. ACTION: Cllr Denman

11.2. Cricket ground. Cllr Denman raised the suggestion of having a cricket square at the recreation ground. The parish council was receptive to this idea but agreed it needs a structured proposal before taking it any further.


12.1. NECAF 1st June. Cllr Keene attended and reported discussions amongst others on the new HMRC guidelines; and the Localism Bill about which we are still awaiting information from MKC.


13.1. MK Community Mediation Service. A letter has been received asking for funds. Cllr Thomson proposed and Cllr Northfield seconded to donate £100 to this service which has benefitted Sherington in recent years. All agreed. ACTION: Clerk

13.2. Correspondence has been received from a Church Road resident who has a water leak in the road outside their house. The parish council has also been informed that Anglian Water had agreed to visit the property, so it was agreed to find out whether this had taken place and what the outcome was. ACTION: Clerk




15.1 Cllr Keene asked the clerk to look into the latest information from the Jubilee Woods community tree planting scheme. ACTION: Clerk

15.2 Councillors agreed that the fitness equipment information recently circulated would make a suitable purchase for the village hall play area and would cater for older children and all adults. It is likely that MKC would provide partial funding. This is to be discussed at the 2012/13 budget meeting in January.

16. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 5th July 2011 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.52 pm

          Pages 1368 to 1370  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018