Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Parish Council Minutes

October 2012

Minutes of the Meeting of Sherington Parish Council held on Tuesday 2nd October 2012 at Sherington Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs D Keene (Chair), J Ager, D Hyde, M Northfield and I Collinge

ALSO ATTENDING:Wendy Austyn (Clerk), Cllr K McLean (Sherington Ward) and two members of the public

Cllr Denman.

Cllr Collinge declared an interest in item 8.2, Cllr Keene declared an interest in item 8.1 and Cllr Northfield declared an interest in item 4.

The minutes of the meeting held on 4th September 2012 were agreed as a true record and signed by the acting Chairman.

Cllr Keene reported that the outstanding issue is in relation to the length of the lease being either three or five years. It was agreed that if the planning consent could be extended then so too could the lease, therefore Mel Northfield will suggest to the co-chairman of Shopco that three years is acceptable. Shopco to inform Cllr Keene of its view. ACTION: Cllr Northfield

Cllr Denman had asked for this item to be deferred until November with specific regard to Perry Lane; however Cllr Keene reported buses and large vehicles struggling to manoeuvre along Church Road and around the junction into School Lane due to cars being parked where the road is narrow. Cllr McLean suggested that the local PCs or PCSOs may be able to offer information and/or advice and it was agreed to invite a representative to the next meeting. . ACTION: Clerk


6.1 Cold Calling Zones. The clerk had carried out some research on how to set up such zones and reported that a guidance document was available from the Trading Standards website It was agreed to write personally to the resident who initially requested the information. ACTION: Clerk

6.2 Update on Play Area Fund for Adult Fitness Equipment. The clerk reported that Phil Snell from MKC saw no issues with using the recreation ground for new equipment and that a note was in October SCAN to see if any residents had other views. There are different types of equipment available and Phil is currently obtaining prices. The clerk suggested that if the recreation ground is settled on then the pavilion management committee need to be involved.

6.3 Registers of Interest. The clerk reminded councillors that following the new Code of Conduct new Registers of Interest need to be completed and sent to MKC. Cllr McLean urged councillors to check that the subsequent transfer of councillor information to the MKC website is accurate as mistakes have been noticed. ACTION: Cllrs Hyde, Green and Denman

6.4 Traffic at Sherington Bridge. A report has been received from Richard Duffill MKC Traffic Management stating that six visits have been made over four weeks at different times of day, and at no time was HGV traffic at a level higher than expected, given that this road from Newport Pagnell is a designated HGV route. Richard suggested that the perceived recent increase in traffic could have been due to incidents on the motorway and satellite navigation. ACTION: Clerk


7.1 Bank Account balance at 2nd October 2012 £28422.74

7.2 Cheques for payment were as follows:

02/10/2012Sherington Community Shop Ltd PPF award £6,000.00 102040
02/10/2012Mazars LLP External audit fee £342.00 102041
02/10/2012E.On Electricity for pavilion £83.40 102042
02/10/2012H M R & C Clerk's PAYE £75.55 102043
02/10/2012J W Cook & Son Rent for Recreation Ground £100.00 102044
02/10/2012Martin Jeeves Perry Lane caretaker and bookings £100.00 102045
02/10/2012Nina Beal Pavilion cleaner £56.00 102046

7.3 Completion of external audit of Annual Return 2011/12 The clerk reported that the audit process is now complete and that the Annual Return is available for inspection.


8.1. 12/01498/FUL & 12/01499/LBC The Manor 4 High St - Erection of a single storey dwelling and alterations and enlargement of the existing opening to create vehicular access onto Crofts End; plus Listed Building Consent for the same. This is the third application for a property on this site, and it was agreed once again that the design of the proposed property was ordinary and did not do justice to its special location. ACTION: Clerk

8.2. 12/01645/FUL 1a Gun Lane - Erection of a single storey detached garden store/study to rear garden. No adverse comments.

8.3. Decisions. None


9.1. Pavilion management group. Cllr Ager requested confirmation from the parish council that the management group could have its own delegated spending powers. It was proposed by Cllr Ager and seconded by Cllr Northfield that from the budget set each January, the management group could authorise expenditure for items or repairs/maintenance costing up to £150 each, to a limit of £750 annually. This was agreed by all. It was also reported that some playground equipment had recently been replaced by MKC.


10.1. Next NECAF 5th December 7.30pm Weston Underwood Cllr Hyde will attend.

10.2. Next NAG meeting 22nd November. Cllr McLean reported that the NAG's priority issues for 2013 are speeding, rubbish and potholes.


11.1. Parish Ward Boundary review Current proposals include changing to 57 ward councillors in total across 19 wards i.e. 3 councillors per ward. Sherington ward which includes several surrounding rural parishes would likely be attached to the Olney ward, which includes the town of Olney, if the proposals go ahead. Firstly councillors voted against the proposals, therefore maintaining the status quo of one ward councillor for Sherington ward; and then voted to be attached to the Olney ward rather than the Newport Pagnell ward if the ward councillors are shared out equally. In the second vote the chairman exercised his second casting vote. ACTION: Clerk

11.2. MK Regeneration Strategy 2012-2017 This was deferred until the November meeting.

11.3. MKC Review of Resident Involvement This was deferred until the November meeting


12.1 A resident queried what charges the football clubs had been paying for use of the recreation ground facilities. This can be answered by the management group upon request to the secretary.

12.2 It was requested to have the hedge adjacent to the paddock on Water Lane cut back. The parish council will write to the owner concerned. ACTION: Clerk

12.3 Cllr McLean reported that the consultation on changes to council tax ends on 9th October, but that there should be no adverse effect on local precepts.

12.4 Cllr McLean asked that the request to cut back hedges and side out footpaths on the road to Newport Pagnell be chased. ACTION: Clerk

12.5 Cllr McLean reported that development of a business park between Newport Pagnell and Junction 14 of the M1 is currently being discussed; consultees will be formally notified in due course.


13.1 Cllr Ager reported incidences of buses almost colliding on Bedford Road. It was suggested that the local PC or PCSO may be able to offer solutions. ACTION: Clerk

13.2 Cllr Northfield gave an update on the shop. The path from the shop to the play area is under construction with landscaping planned next. The electrical repairs are now complete.

13.3 Cllr Hyde reported that the hedge at the top of Crofts End needs cutting back around the street map opposite School Lane as it is permanently on due to the low light. ACTION: Clerk

13.4 Cllr Keene reported the Crofts End road name sign being out of its fixing holes. ACTION: Clerk

14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 6th November 2012 at the Village Hall commencing at 7.30 pm. There being no further business the meeting ended at 9.03pm

          Pages 1410 to 1412  

Previous Meeting - Back to PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES INDEX - Next Meeting

Home Page - About Us - Minutes - Newsletters - Our Needs - Membership - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 11 February 2018