The so-named Studio was built for the benefit of the young men of Towcester, with classes held in Bible Reading, Play Acting, Lino Cutting, Wood Carving, Sports etc. Many young men took part in the Studio activities, which boasted at least one football team. There was a stone tablet outside the building with the inscription
CAP. AP. NOT UNTO US. 1903In 1910 some members asked Miss Charlotte Phipps to form a brass band. The two sisters bought instruments and equipment, and by October of that year the Towcester Studio Band was formed, which continues to thrive to this day.
In 1932 the building was sold to the Manchester Union of Oddfellows, who put up the datestone
MU ODDFELLOWS HALL 1932It subsequently became the local Labour Exchange, and in 2002 the building was used for a mobile telephone business. In 2010 it is used by “Working Bodies Performance and Remedial Centre”.
Keith McLean, February 2002.