The contents on this page remain on our website for informational purposes only.
Content on this page will not be reviewed or updated.


John's guide to town 's past - Bletchley
Bletchley as it is today
The town as seen in 1938

In last month's Local Pages we published an aerial photograph of Bletchley taken in 1938.

Now, leading local historian John Taylor has kindly annotated all the main landmarks on the map and provided descriptions.

1) Tavistock Nurseries - Founded in 1927 by Mr D. Deighton and was an important source of vegetables during World War Two.

2) 251 Bletchley Road - the home of Inspector Ernest Callawell MBE who came to Bletchley shortly after being promoted to inspector in 1913. Now a dental surgery.

3) Napier Street Allotments - In an area which once included Baisley's Field, the allotments were intensively cultivated during World War Two.

4) The Clinic - The Duchess of Kent paid a wartime visit to the first aid centre, cheered on by crowds.

5) The New Inn - built in 1867, is now the Bletchley Arms, although for while was named Kincaids after its wrestler landlord.

6) Tennis Courts - used as allotments during World War Two and is now Maybrook House.

7) The Studio - which held many wartime concerts featuring nationally known artists.

8) Central Gardens - included tennis courts, a miniature golf course and landscaped flower beds.

9) Mr H. Bonner's shop - In 1930 he moved to Bletchley from Luton and started a fruit and confectionary business which is now an estate agents.

10) Angel Dindol's shop - now a video rental shop, was a drapery store and featured a statue of an angel.

11) Barham Lodge - named after a 1935 Derby winner it was originally built for turf accountant Fred Bodsworth.

12) Central Garage - in 1864 it was established as a iron and brass foundry which made castings for agricultural machinery.

13) The manager's house and showrooms of the Fenny Stratford Gas Light and Coke Company - the town was first lit by gas on December 31, 1857.