Memorials from St Michael's Cof E Church
Recording undertaken by Bryan Egan, Norman Arnold, & Frances & Dennis Young.
AREA ‘N’. These first 14 graves are of the sisters of the Catholic college. All the graves are of uniform size and shape, and are in perfectly straight lines.
1) Mary St. Mechtud died January 8th 1924 aged 36 years,
Also of sister St. Bertha Theresa Unterhoffer died 23rd October 1954 aged 79.
2) Mary of Nazareth died June 29th 1956 aged 71 years.
Also sister Martina Kathleen Lilley died 24th September 1981 aged 83.
3) Sister St. Bernadette died 23rd October 1959 aged 66 years.
4) Mother St. Elizabeth died 26th July 1960 aged 71 years.
5) Mother Magdelen died 17th April 1965 aged 89 years.
6) Sister Eleanor Shehan died 6th Sepetember1973 aged 54 years.
Also sister Edna Margaret Rochford died 7th September 1985 aged 82 years.
7) Mary Ipswich Hopkins died 10th June 1968 aged 84 years.
8) Sister Anthony Hyland died 6th October 1973 aged 83 years.
Also sister JamesCafferty died 24th January 1979 aged 75 years.
9) Sister Emma Hackett died 24th May 1972 aged 64years.
10) Sister Helen Lowenstein died 25th April 1976 aged 89.
Also sister Finian Rose McCoy died 24th April 1981 aged 71.
11) Sister John Baptist Keegan died 17th December1975 aged 82.
12) Sister Mary Annunciata Gertrude de Verinne died 19th February 1990 aged 92.
Also sister Columbiere Elizabeth Welsh died 27th August 1950 aged 75.
13) Sister John Aspinall died Easter Sunday 15th April 1979 aged 76.
14) Sister Assunta Maria Zannelato died 30th November 1990 aged 87.
AREA P. Start of the graves of the parishioners of Thornton.
15) In / loving memory of / Annie Amelia Harding / died March 1st 1946 / aged 70 (76?) years.
Peace perfect peace.
Also her husband / George Frederick Harding / died June 24th 1961 / aged 90 years.
16) In / ever loving memory / of / Thomas Baker / passed away 29th April 1961 / aged 68. Beloved husband of / Annie Caroline Baker / passed away 13th January 1977 / aged 76.
17) In memory of / a deeply loved husband / and father / James Edmund Teddy / Knight born 23rd January 1919 / died 8th May 1969.
He lived courageously.
18) Beatrice Mary / (Queenie) / Reddin / 1st November 1891 / 27th November 1976. / A loving Mum and Gran. / She died as she had lived / with grace and dignity. / She who gives a child a home. / Will find a place in kingdom come.
19) In / loving memory of / George Edward / King / died 29th June 1981, / aged 79 years /
And his wife / Dorothy May / died 21st May 2002 / aged 94 years.
20) In loving memory of / Eliza Colton / beloved wife of Robert Colton / of Thornton / January 2nd (3) 1887 aged 60 years /
Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord.
Also of / Robert Colton / beloved husbsnd of the above / who died Oct. 23rd 1914 / aged 85 years.
21) A wooden cross (un-named)
John Apap-Bolohn. ?????
22) Annie Crompton / 1909 - 1989.
23) Ken & Pat / Wallhead / 4th March 1989. / 22nd Jan. 1980.
24) In memory of Ruby Florence beloved wife of William Seaton. Passed away 5th April 1984 aged 78 years.
Very sadly missed.
And William Seaton died 14th January 1991 aged 90 years.
25) In loving memory of Frank Gammage 1909 - 1978,
And Anna Quaglia Gammage 1909 - 1981.
26) Cherished memories of our dear daughter Tracy Dawn Hawkins fell asleep 25th October 1974 aged 3.
A tiny flower lent, not given / to bud on earth and bloom in heaven.
27) Eileen Fairfax / 15th February 1973 aged 76,/ Dona ei pacem. / Mother of Susan Pennell.
28) Sue Pennell / 7th August 1957 aged 31 / wife of George Pennell.
Dona ei requiem.
Thomas her son / 14th August 1957 aged one week.
29) In fond memory of / Sophie Olive Remelion / Ward / 'Leon' / who passed away peacefully / 26th April 1976 aged 70 years / R.I.P.
30) In loving memory of /Flora / the beloved wife of / Robert Poole / who died 4th December 1951 / age 64 years.
Peace, perfect peace.
31) Loving / memories of / a wonderful husband / and father / Michael Charles / Thomas / (Thomo) / who passed away / April 30th 1994 aged 51 years./
Deep in our heart your memory is kept, / We who loved you will never forget.
32) Harold / Nutt / 1918 - 1990.
33) Dorothy Mary / Fricker / 1906 - 1995. / Rest in peace.
34) In loving memory of / Billy / the beloved husband of / Peggy Taylor / who passed away on / January 28th 1953, aged 47 years. / A friend to all.
35) In memory of Maud Annette Letitia Elizabeth Harris wife of Henry William Harris born 23rd December 1869 , died 24th August 1950.
36) In memory of / Richard Galton (Gayton) died November the 12th / 1798 aged 50 (56) years./ He was born at Melbury / in the county of Dorset./ lived the last 29 years in / the service of Thomas / Sheppard esq..
37) In the memory of Thomas Sheen. Father of Henry London died April 2nd in the year 1791.
38) Beneath / are deposited the remains of / Ann wife of John Dover / who departed this life May 8th 1813 aged 87 (37) years.
39) In loving memory of Daphne Vivien Gander 17. 2. 1931 - 19. 10. 1993.
A wonderful wife and mother. So Sadly missed.
40) Treasured memories of Gilbert Edmund Haynes a beloved husband and father 1905 - 1984 R.I.P.
Also a beloved wife and mother Joan Elizabeth 1910 - 1994,
41) A shield shape, illegible.
………………? body of Sarah Dixon / wife of William Dixon / departed this life September 8th / in the 70th year of her age.
43A) Half buried stone, nothing legible.
43B) Half buried stone nothing legible.
43C) Half buried stone nothing legible.
44) In memory / of / Mary Weaver / who died April 15th / 1798 / lived more than twenty years in the family of / Thos Sheppard Esq.
45) Now barely anything legible,
Here lieth the / Blessed body of ………………? who died Octur ye 19th 173…? / aged 85 / years.
46) In memory of the wife of John Judg / who dyed Oct. ye 18 1720 / aged 75 years.
Deth…………? old…….? pain………?
47) In memory of Mary Sheen wife of / Benjamin Sheen / died July 21 1775 / aged 51 years.
Also of 2 of her children ……..? their………..?
48) In memory of / Thomas Sheen / of the parish of / St Andrews (Aldwich) Holborn…………….. ?London.
who dyed March ye 2 (8) 1767, aged 40 (9) years. Husband dear.
49) Here lieth the body of Francis / wife of William Dixson who departed this life May / ….? the 18, 1767 aged 91.
Prepared her of……? when death shall for on the day …………? to give………? for all.
50) Angels head, wings and scrolls, round the stone, lettering unreadable
51) CaioulisGeorge Almond / ………………… ?
April 17 / Elizabetha / Polueriuos…………….Tres relieth lib…………fil fra……..?
52) …………? mory / Emma / daughter of / Thomas & Emma / Wrighton / who departed this life / June 24th 1852 / aged 5 years.
53) In remembrance / of / Harriett / wife of / Nathaniel Coates / who died / February 25th 1869 / aged 47 years / And also / John Alfred Coates / who died / February 5th 1859 / aged 13 years / The Lord is my shepherd / I shall not want. Psalm 23.
54) A fallen cross, by the ditch.
Winifred Ethel / youngest daughter of / Matthew & Anne Hobbs / who passed away Sept. 7, 1901 / aged 15 years.
In the midst of life we are in death.
55) A large stone memorial to several people.
Frederick Richard De Prilleux / Lonsdale Hands / born 19th Dec. 1913 died 15th Oct 1969 / Artist and Designer / If you can fill the unforgiving minute / with sixty seconds worth of distance run. / Rudyard Kipling.
Gratefully remembered / for his devotion and / help to the Sunshine / Fund for blind babies / and young people.
God be in my head and in my understanding
God be in mine eyes and in my looking,
God be in my mouth and in my speaking,
God be in my heart and in my thinking,
Gad be at my end and at my departing.
Susan De Prilleux / daughter of / Richard De Prilleux Lonsdale Hands / born August 1st 1954 / died 31st May 1977.
WENN GOTT MIT UNS
WER IST GEGEN UNS
(If God is with us,
who is against us.)
56) Small slab set in the ground.
Richard Albert / Tullett / Laid to rest Feb 22nd 1967 / aged 76 years / R.I.P.
AREA ‘IC’ Memorials from inside of the church.