St Lawrence's Church, Broughton Village Heritage Open Day

Times
Sunday, 22nd September 2019
10:00 am - 4:00 pm

Map of the venue
St Lawrence's Church, Broughton

Area
East

Add to your calendar
0 Add to Outlook or other iCal calendar


Interior view of St. Lawrence (picture: courtesy of the Churches Conservation Trust)

 

 

Organised by: Friends of St. Lawrence (FOSL).

A Victorian restoration of this small 14th century church revealed long forgotten medieval wall paintings of the 15th century. These are some of the most complete paintings of their type in England. They include a Doom painting over the north door, a depiction of St George over the south door saving the Virgin Mary and the Lamb of God from the dragon (Satan). Along the north wall there is a remarkable Pieta (one of only two known examples in England) which is a warning against taking God’s name in vain. On the south wall are figures of St. Helena holding the ‘true cross’ and St. Eloi (Eligius) patron saint of farriers with blacksmiths’ tools below (a guild of farriers is known to have existed in the village). Two chained books from the Reformation sit in the chancel arch: The Paraphrases of the Gospels by Erasmus (1547) and Bishop John Jewel’s A Defence of the Apology of the Church of England (1567).

Pictures: Barry Wadeson

The chancel and east end of the nave have some excellent Victorian stained glass windows most of which were funded by the long-serving Rev John Irving who was curate and, from 1854, rector of St. Lawrence’s for over forty years. He is buried in the churchyard with his three wives.

St. Lawrence’s was declared redundant in 1990 and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It is lovingly looked after by the Friends of St. Lawrence.

No pre-booking required. Conducted tours will be available but visitors can just come and browse.

Access: Steep steps downwards into tower base area. Not suitable for those with mobility problems. Tower not open to the public for safety reasons. Step up to chancel. Gravel pathway is difficult for wheelchair/pushchair access but can be done.

Assistance dogs welcome. Pushchair/pram friendly.

Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/FriendsofStLawrence

Contact: Barry Wadeson: Tel: 07773 140208  email: b.m.wadeson@btinternet.com