Broughton Lords of the Manor

oloPraedarmscolourr  Tyringhamarmscolour

As with many other places, the early manorial history of Broughton is somewhat sketchy. For the most part, one has to rely on the evidence to be found in such documents as have survived, and these do not always make it clear when land changed hands. What is certain is that the Saxon settlement of Brotone (derived from ‘broc’ and ‘tun’ meaning a settlement on a brook) was mentioned in the Domesday Book. It then consisted of two manors – one held by Walter Giffard, a loyal supporter of William the Conqueror, and the other by Countess Judith, a more shadowy figure.

Walter Giffard sub-let his land to Hugh de Bolebec whose main holding was at Whitchurch near Aylesbury, and he was the tenant at the time of the Domesday Survey. However, the de Bolebecs in their turn sub-let the estate to a family who took the name of the place, the de Broughtons. The Giffard manor then remained with this family until the end of the fourteenth century until it was acquired by the de Aylesbury family who also held nearby Milton Keynes. To complicate matters, Robert de Broughton retained a small holding in the village including that originally held by Countess Judith.

When Hugh de Aylesbury died in 1423 his land at Broughton passed to his aunt Eleanor who became the wife of Sir Humphrey Stafford of Grafton in Northamptonshire. Thus both Milton Keynes and Broughton came to be held by the Stafford family.

Meanwhile, the lands retained by the de Boughtons passed by marriage to the Howard family. Agnes Howard married William Paulet, and in 1572 they sold their holding to Thomas Duncombe. About a year later, Humphrey Stafford (the last Humphrey in the list below) also sold his interest in Broughton to Thomas Duncombe so that the manors were at last combined.

Listed below are some of the significant dates.

1151 – 1154
Robert de Broughton and son William
mentioned as tenants in a confirmatory charter
William de Broughton
probably son of the above William, mentioned in legal document
about 1245
Robert de Broughton
son of William
about 1276
Matthew de Broughton
son of Robert
about 1284
Ralf de Broughton
son of Matthew
about 1306
Ralf de Broughton the younger
probably son of Ralf
about 1316
Joan de Broughton
widow of Ralf the younger
about 1331
Robert de Broughton
(son of Ralf the younger) is mentioned in connection with Broughton but this was possibly related to the disposal of the manor to Philip Aylesbury following the death of his mother who was then married to William Passelewe of Wavendon.
1338 –
Philip Aylesbury
also held Milton KeynesSheriff of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire 1318, 1321, 1325 & 1330
after 1346
Thomas Aylesbury
son of Philip
– 1409
Sir John Aylesbury
grandson of Philip (died in 1409) Sheriff of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire 1365 & 1373
1409 – 1423
Hugh Aylesbury
son of Sir John
sister of Sir John and wife of Sir Humphrey Stafford of Grafton (Northants)
Humphrey Stafford
son of Sir Humphrey
Humphrey Stafford
grandson of Sir Humphrey, executed for treason in 1486
Humphrey Stafford
had obtained a pardon for his father in 1503
Sir Humphrey Stafford
son of above
Humphrey Stafford
son of Sir Humphrey, sold out to the Duncombes in 1573
in 1431
Thomas Nevil, Lord Latimer died .
he held the Manors of Crawley and Broughton
in 1455
Sir Thomas Lovell died
at that time the Manor was known as Broughton-Lovell
John de Broughton
it was recorded that John de Broughton presented to the church Sheriff of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire 1460 & 1464
in 1505
Sir Robert Broughton
bequeathed the Manor of Broughton to his brother Edward, for life
in 1529
John Broughton Note Green text denotes second manor
died leaving two daughters, Anne and Catherine. The first was married to William Lord Howard of Roworth and had a daughter, Agnes, who became the wife of William Pawlett, Lord St. John, son and heir apparent to the Most Honourable John Lord Marquess of Winchester. His Lordship, and the Lady Agnes, conveyed the Manors of Broughton and Wolston Parva to Thomas Duncombe Esq. in January 1572
1573 – 1596
Thomas Duncombe
died at Great Brickhill
1596 – 1622
Francis Duncombe
(second son of Thomas) married Mary, daughter of Thomas Porter of CoventrySheriff of Buckinghamshire 1618
1622 – 1632
Thomas Duncombe
(son of Francis and Mary) married Sarah, daughter of Thomas Draper of Islington
1632 – 1672
Thomas Duncombe
(son of Thomas and Sarah) who in 1632 appears to be only fourteen and the eldest of six children. The Ward was in the King’s hands by reason of minority.Sheriff of Buckinghamshire 1664
1672 – 1720
Francis Duncombe
DuncombeHatchmentNewson of the above by his first wife(the manor was at first left to Thomas’ second wife Margaret, but it was recovered by Francis in 1675)
1720 – 1746
Francis Duncombe
died unmarried on 14th March and is buried in the church. He left his estate to his nephew John Robinson and two nieces Frances and Susan who sold out almost immediately to Barnaby Backwell, a banker from London.
1748 – 1754
Barnaby Backwell
also held Tyringham
1754 – 1775
Tyringham Backwell
son of Barnaby
1775 – 1833
Elizabeth Praed nee Backwell d.1811
sister of TyringhamWBTyringham, daughter of Barnabywho in 1778 married William Mackworth Praed of Trevethoe in Lelant, Cornwall.(Chairman of the Grand JunctionCanal Company 1792-1821)
1833- 1837
James Backwell Praed
Praedarmscolourson of the above Sheriff of Buckinghamshire 1807
1837 – 1870
William Backwell Praed

Sheriff of Buckinghamshire 1860 WBT1864

It was William who re-adopted the

family name of Tyringham.

He built the school in Broughton in 1864.

1870 – 1909
Roger William Giffard Tyringham
Tyringhamarmscolourson of the above He replaced many of the cottages in Broughton with estate houses which bear his initials.RWGT1885
1909 – 1921
Lieut-Col Arthur William Hervey Good
lived at the present Manor House at Broughton
1921 – 1960
Mrs Grace Marianne Good J.P.
widow of Lieut-Col Good. By the Second World War, Ronald Adams of Manor Farm was the principal landowner.


Comments are closed.