TAYLOR’S PRODUCTION AND WORKS

 

Taylors

 

The business was started in premises next to the old Fire Station in the High Street (25/27) in 1825 by William Taylor who was born in Hampstead Norris near Newbury. He moved over the road to 34, High Street a few years later and founded his factory in Union Street. In 1830 Taylor produced the first English mustard to be sold ready prepared.  William Taylor was a chemist and developed his own unique recipe which was a closely guarded secret.
In 1863 a Deed of Partnership was made between Thomas Taylor and Frederick James Taylor as follows: Whereas William Taylor the father of Thomas and Frederick Taylor for many years carried on at Newport Pagnell the trades or businesses of a Chemist and Druggist and Soda Water Manufacturer as well as a dealer in Oil and Colours on the 31st day of December 1862 decided to relinquish and deliver unto his sons the business. Thomas and Frederick James will become and continue partners in the business and will continue under the Style or Firm of “T & F.J Taylor” at the said house and premises late their father’s. The partnership shall Bank with Messieurs Bassett & Son & Harris of Newport Pagnell.
When the factory closed in 1990, the mustard business was sold to Mr. Ross Southwell and the company became Taylors Speciality Foods Ltd. It was he that moved the business to Cheshire and later sold it to Walter Black Foods Limited, Glasgow.  Mr. Southwell has told us that it isn’t now made with exactly the same ingredients as it was originally. Some of the salt has been removed and replaced with citric acid but it still has its traditional hot but smooth taste.

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                          William Taylor the founder
of the factory

 

Taylors celebrates 100 years of business in 1930. The then owner Francis Taylor sits centrally second row, in the brown overall
Mrs May Baxter working on the mineral water bottling production line. 1930
A view of Taylors Shop at 34, High Street taken from the Parish ChurchTower
March 2010
The old Taylors Factory awaiting demolition
after standing derelict for many years. A new housing development to be built on the site
Top