*** News, including Coronavirus/lockdown ***
The committee wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.
2021 events (titles may be subject to change)
All events will be hosted online on Zoom, either by the presenter/organisation account, or via the NPHS Zoom account (which is why the links and passwords may sometimes differ).
Some events may be available on YouTube as recordings for a few weeks following the live event, but this depends on the event, technology used, and wishes of the presenter.
- Tuesday 19 January 2021, 7.30pm: Don Hurst will be assuming the role of quiz master.
- Tuesday 02 February 2021, 7.30pm: “Georgian Olney – A Time Travellers Guide” – Tom Jones.
- Tuesday 02 March 2021, 7.30pm: our AGM, and Quiz.
- Tuesday 16 March 2021, 7.30pm: “The Battle of Northampton and it’s place in the Wars of the Roses” – Geoff Morris.
Visiting the museum (Chandos Hall)
Unfortunately the museum is now closed while we are in Tier 4. We will post dates once we are allowed to open.
When we add ‘timed slot’ booking links again, the following short video (using an example open day) explains how to book using the third-party system. Essentially you just need to select the time, and enter your forename, surname, and email address. The ticket allows you and up to three others in your bubble to visit (one ticket is therefore good for four people maximum). There will be two volunteers at the museum. Please note the following:
- all visitors will need to give contact details when visiting the museum with the timed ticket – NPHS will need to keep the data for 21 days, at which point it will be destroyed.
- for everyone’s safety, all visitors (and volunteers) are required to wear face masks or face shields, unless you are exempt as per government guidelines.
- there is a one-way system in effect.
- hand sanitiser is available.
- we follow a clean list before each opening to ensure that the museum is a Covid-safe environment.
Newport Pagnell Historical Society (NPHS) was founded in 1984 by a small group interested in the buildings and people of the town and surrounding area and concerned in preserving the past for the future. By the 1990’s the thriving society, by its own fund raising efforts and with the generous help of the Harry Middleton Gift, was able to purchase and refurbish Chandos Hall and open it both as a Museum and the Society’s headquarters. The Society currently has around one hundred and seventy members who meet twice a month and is active in many aspects of the town and further afield including the preservation of historical buildings – many of which have been sadly lost in the past.
Following discussion at our 2020 AGM, from January 2021 the Membership Fee will be £10.00 for all ages. For the ‘Talk Evenings’, the attendance fee of £1.00 for members and £3.00 for visitors will remain the same. On these evenings there is also a raffle and refreshments available.
Supporting NPHS 🙂
Did you know? We are usually available as a charity for points and other donations when you shop. We appreciate all donations (especially items related to our town, and ‘time’ donations such as volunteering at events!).
Such extra funding is crucial to help us maintain the museum collections and the Chandos Hall, and it helps us run our events as cheaply as possible. As someone somewhere might have once said: every little helps!
Milton Keynes Heritage Days (11-20 September 2020)
Congratulations to the winners of our Treasure Hunt competition, which was held in Heritage week in September.
- Carol Winton
- Laura Jones
- Mary-Rose Carman
Thanks to all those who took part and we hope you enjoyed learning about the town!
The items below can be found under our ‘ABOUT NPHS’ tab
Programme for 2020
This has been heavily changed because of Coronavirus. We are exploring online options.
Next Meetings – for details of these please visit ‘NEWSLETTERS and POSTERS’
Some old pictures
Newport Pagnell Historical Society would like to acknowledge and thank Alan Cooper – MKHA web administrator for the friendly, cheerful and patient way he has assisted with this web site.