Hugh de Bolbec
Hugh of Bolbec accompanied William the Conqueror to England. He is referred to as a cousin, sometimes as a brother of Walter Giffard, the first Earl of Buckingham. Hugo de Bolebec, or Hugo de Bolebech, is listed as “tenent in capite” – a tenent holding land immediately from the King. He held the manors of Messenden, Agmondesham, Chesham, Medmenham, Brock, Citedone (Cheddington), Claveston (Calverton), Linford and Hardmead.
According to a manuscript in the Ashmolean Collection in Oxford, Hugh de Bolebec was an attesting witness to the charter of endowment when Walter Giffard, second Earl of Buckingham, founded Notley Abbey for a reformed order of Augustine monks in 1112, and to another charter giving to the abbey the church of Hillesden. The Bolebec family were traditionally the owners of Bullbanks Castles at Danesfield. Hugh de Bolebec had two sons, Hugh and Walter, and was succeeded by both in turn.
Hugh, his son, built Woburn Abbey in Bedfordshire for the Cistercian monks in 1145, assigning to the monks the great titles of the parish, and later adding the honor of Medmenham as a cell to the abbey.
The Bolbec heirs became Earls of Oxford. They had large holdings in Bucks, Berks, Hunts and Oxon.
Thanks to Paul Cox of Woburn Sands Collection for this research
John Stapylton Habgood, Baron Habgood PC 1927 – 2019
John Habgood (born 23 June 1927), was Bishop of Durham from 1973 to 1983, and Archbishop of York from 18 November 1983 to 1995. He lived for many years at Calverton Cottage (opposite the Shoulder of Mutton). He was made a Privy Counsellor in 1983, and was created a life peer as Baron Habgood, of Calverton in the County of Buckinghamshire on 8 September 1995.
Simon Bennet 1624 – 16 82
The Bennet Baronetcy, of Bechampton in the County of Buckingham, was created in the Baronetage of England on 17 July 1627 for Simon Bennet. The title became extinct on his death in 1631. Sir Thomas Bennet (died 1627), father of the first Baronet, was Lord Mayor of London from 1603 to 1604.
Simon Bennet (the younger and nephew of Sir Simon ) inherited Calverton Manor House from his uncle shortly before his marriage to Grace Morewood in 1649. He made some significant changes to the frontage including a front porch which bears his initials and date 1659.
In 1694 his widow, Grace Bennet, was notoriously murdered in the servants’ hall of Calverton Manor for the money that she supposedly kept there.
Frederick Joseph Trevelyan Perceval – 10th Earl Egmont
Frederick Joseph Trevelyan Perceval was born on 27 April 1873.1 He was the son of George Drummond Ince Perceval and Marianne Baxter.1 He married Cecilia Moore, daughter of James Burns Moore, on 13 June 1911.1 He died on 16 May 1932 at age 59.1
He succeeded to the title of 10th Earl of Egmont, co. Cork [I., 1733] on 10 January 1929
Following his death, The Calverton Estate was broken up and sold by his personal representative in a series of 30 Lots in a sale held at The Cock Hotel in nearby Stony Stratford on the 30th June 1933.