History – from 1750 – 2000
1753 – Swan – Earliest license recorded* in Calverton- possible early name for the Shoulder of Mutton (but may have been located elsewhere in the village). *Register of Licensed Victuallers, Bucks 1752-1828
1764-1769 – Green Dragon – Earliest known name of pub before becoming the Shoulder of Mutton (but may have been located elsewhere in the village) 1768 Licensee recorded as Sands (Alexander) Johnson. *Register of Licensed Victuallers, Bucks1752-1828
c.1790 – Date current building erected. Originally a butchers with a slaughterhouse. Slaughterhouse at rear of separate two story building to East of main house (current B&B rooms, North section). Single story lean-to shed (latterly garage) to South of separate two story block which later held the general store and Post Office run by Ron Maddison (after General Store Post Office closed at No 19 Lower Weald). Name of ‘Shoulder of Mutton’ possibly based on shape of the plot of land on which the buildings stand (curtilage) – or a reference to the earlier use of the buildings as a slaughterhouse.
1794 – Meeting place of Calverton Friendly Society – Church History Leaflet
1807 – Site of meeting recorded 25 April 1807 between the Inclosure Surveyors and various parties – “at the Shoulder of Mutton kept by James French”.
1816 – ‘Shoulder of Mutton’ given as site of Court proceedings (Courts Leet) Local Court for small misdemeanours in and around Calverton
1906 – Elizabeth Arthur buried at All Saints Church on October 6th aged 87 – Noted as living at ”Shoulder of Mutton” at time of death. (Source: Calverton All Saints Burials Register – Digitised microfilm – CRP)
1919 – Elizabeth Grice buried at All Saints Church on June 7th aged 71 – Noted as living at ”Shoulder of Mutton Inn” at time of death (Source: Calverton All Saints Burials Register – Digitised microfilm – CRP).
1934 – Ellen Holman (wife of Harry Holman – Licensee) buried at All Saints Church on June 2nd aged 77 . (Source: entry No. 782 Calverton All Saints Burials Register – Digitised microfilm – CRP)
1971 Description from listing of buildings of special architectural or historic interest. – ‘1790. Plain C18, 2 storey stone house with an early red tiled roof and brick chimney stacks. The South front is painted and has a later porch. 3 windows on 1st floor – 2 small 3-light casements and 1 2-light casement. 3-light casements on ground floor. Long 2 storey extension at rear.’
c.2000 New Pub sign. Design based on front view of Pub building. Also similar image used on menu covers. Both by Pamela Valentine.