School Newspaper

Home » Places » Community » School » School Newspaper

School Newspaper – 1957/8

Preface

Sherington News - Front Page

These documents are the transcribed copies of a series of letters written by
the pupils of Sherington C.of E. school, in 1957 and 1958. This was done for
a school project, a newspaper. The pages written by the pupils were then pasted onto large sheets of brown paper approximately 27” x 33” (70cm x 85cm) and stapled along the top into one volume with a decorated front cover. All the articles are handwritten on separate sheets of paper, of various sizes and colours then in some cases, decorated by the pupils. Most of the pages were unsigned. In total, there were 92 contributions from the pupils. All the spelling and grammar are as written by the pupils. Some alterations have been made, eg. Full names of the pupils as supplied at a later date by the pupils themselves or their friends, or corrections by the teacher, but these have been kept to a minimum, and are always written in italics.

Mr. Charles Stephens who was the headmaster at this time, has given this booklet his blessing, & made the following comments. The writings are on odd shaped scraps of paper, it was a time of national shortage and the paper was begged from ‘McCorquadales,’ in Wolverton, as offcuts from their processing, by Mr Stephens, any colour, shape or weight. The brown backing paper, for the newspaper, was from brown paper parcel wrappings, ironed to make flat and useable.

The Sherington News (Senior Edition)

September 18th, Yesterday my baby sister Jill split her lip and she went to doctor Griffiths. He was not there so she same doctor Gurney and she gave mummy some cream to put onit.

September 18th Tonight Sir Frank Markham is going to speak on the knoll he is going to talk about conservativs. He is the member of parliament for the Buckingham division.

September 18th Today it is warm. There are lots of wasps about. When we were having prayers a wasp crawled on Sylvias shoe. Just as it was about to go on her leg it flew off.

September 19th Yesterday two of Sheila’s friends come over from Newport. I went blackberrying with them and Sheila. Sheila gave all her blackberries to her friend. They went back about 7-15.

September 18th Yesterday I went to have my haircut. The girl rushed it and she has cut it all ends Mummy does not like it and she is not taking me there any more.

September 18th Yesterday I went to the library. I took Carol Wises books back for her. I got her some more but I did not get myself any because I shall not be here to return them because I am going on holiday.

September 16th This morning I went to feed our rabbit. I gave sow-thistle and dandelion leaves. I also gave it a weetabix with butter and a dish of milk.

Sep 18. Last night I had my hair cut. Before I had my hair cut I dug a piece of dirt out of the bank by the side of the fence. Ben Line cuts my hair. Ben is my uncle, and he own a wood yard. This morning I got up at half past 7. After I had had my breakfast I dug some more of the bank out

Sep 19. Today I cut down some stinging nettles. Yesterday I went to Gun Lane to do some boxing I beat Michael by high points. A policeman came and asked us were playing so we said we were playing boxing. (Warwick Lines)

September 16th. Today there are a lot of wasps about. One has settled on my leg but I knocked it of before it could sting me. We see a lot of wasps now when the fruit is getting ripe.

Sherington News

September 16. Yesterday morning Sylvia and I went across the fields and picked some black berrieswe got a basket full and some in a bag. And altogeather we got 6lb. And Sylvia took them took them to school to make a tart.

September 16th During the weekend my uncle came down from yorkshire to see us on the way he saw a car turned over in a ditch. He thought there might be someone in it. There was not anyone in it but the windows were all smashed and there was a lot of damage done.

Sherington News

Yesterday I painted our newspaper. When the teacher comes to look at our diary, if there is anything interesting he will put it in the paper.

September 17. Yesterday at 3 o clock it started to rain it gradually increased. At four o clock it was raining very fast and I had to take my brothers rain-coat on my bike and give it to him at the bus stop.

September 16th 1957. One Friday dinnertime when I turned the corner I saw Michael lying on the ground I thought he had just fallen off his bike but he had fallen and caught his sock in the chain, so I called mummy and she got it out for him.

September 24th. On Saturday King Haakon King of Norway died now his son is King. I saw King Haacom’s son’s Picture in the paper his name is King Olaf.

Sherington News

September 24th. Today it is very wet and cold. Yesterday was the first day of Autumn. There are lots of leaves on the ground and in school we have made a book to stick the Autumn leaves in.

September 25th. Last Monday we had some new singing together books. We have singing on Mondays and Thursdays. We had singing on Monday and so we sang three songs.

September 27th Yesterday evening I went to get our rabbit some straw. Stephen and Sylvia came too. Sylvia has also got a rabbit. We asked Mr Cook for the straw and we each had a big armful. It was about half a bale altogether. While we were coming up the road Michael asked us if he could pull it up on their trolley.

September 24, 1957. This morning on the radio I herd that five young men were found in a lifeboat of the sailing ship that was sunk. For the last two days there has been a severe storm at sea now it has come over this country.

September 26, 1957. This morning it is fine and the sun is shining very brightly but the ground is still sodden. For the last two days it has been pouring with rain.

September 18th 1957. This morning I have brought a bunch of flowers. There are some golden rod and there are some stocks. I think the stocks are best because they have got a sweet smell.

When we were singing a hymn this morning a ginger cat ran across the field and when it got there it stared in the classroom. Last night Sylvia Sheila and I went down cross end and saw the trolley races Michael Temple came first half way the Trevor Bennett over took and won.

Sherington News

September 27th. Last night Cynthia and I went down Mr Cooks farm to get some straw for our pet rabbits. Cynthia has a little baby rabbit I have a big one. We asked Mr Cook for it. We also got some leaves. On the way back we saw Michael Temple and Trevor Bennet on some trolleys. They were having races and Trevor Bennet won.

September 19th 1957. B. Umney, One night I herd a bottel fall over. I looked out of the window and there was a enormouse hedgehog. Mr smith rolled it on to the lawn and it ran all about the lawn. It ran in a funny way and it disappeared into the hedge.

When we were playing football, five calves came up to the fence, and one of them came in the field. At the same time one got back to the field. Then when we came in Jenny, went to tell Mr Walkins that they were out of the field and Mr Walkins, David, and Lassie came and took them back.

Last night when I was in the house I heard an owl hoot in the tres in greens field. Then it stopped and there were some dogs barking and some one hammering too. Then the hoot was not so near it was fainter than before. I could still hear the hammering.

Sept 27th It has been raining for nearly two days this week, but we woke up to a fine day on Thursday and it has been fine since then. When we go to fetch the ball the mud sticks to our shoes. Now it is sunny and I hope it will stay like it for some time.

Sherington News

September 27th. On Wednesday I was stung on my heel by a wasp and my foot is so swollen that I can hardly walk. Thursday I went to see Dr. Clay and he gave me some medicine and a box of ointment.

September 27th It has been raining for two days and our field is terribly muddy. The workmens van got stuck in the mud and it took at least five minutes before the van started moving. We have two kittens and they are about four months old. Last Sunday we took them to be doctored and found out that one was a female and one was a male. Their names are Blitzer and Donner.

Yesterday when we went to the library we saw a cock pheasant. It had a long tail, a red patch on its eye more pretty colours on it. When we got there I got a book called Biggles and Jennings. I have read half of Biggles. Peter Austen came as well, his books were mysteries.

Oct 4 M.T. Today there are only twenty people at school and all the rest have got flu. Agnes was outside yesterday and Ian Donnelly was out too.

Sherington News

Sept 27. Last night after I had had my tea my older brother and I went up the old army camp. We were going to some big stones for a rockery. After a little while we had quite a big pile. Then I got board and we put the stones on it and carried them home. Today it is Gladys Irelands last day at school for tomorrow she is moving to Clifton Raynes.

Sherington News

September 27 Joan Bennett. At dinner time Jenny tried to kill a wasp and got stung on the ankle. Her ankle was all swollen up and it affected her eye too. Jenny couldn’t walk because of her ankle so she sat in an arm chair in the teachers study. The next day her eye wasn’t so bad but she went to the doctor and he gave her some ointment and medicine.

October 4th Last night I went to the library and chose a book called The Stolen Jewels. It is interesting and exciting. I also have another book called The Ship of Adventure witch Cynthia says it is exciting too. I like reading very much.

Sherington News

October 7th 1957. Last Tuesday I was in bed with the flu. My brother has been in bed with it since Sunday and he has been very ill. Today I am glad to say I am able to come back to school and make up for the time I have lost.

Last night I got some car numbers. Then David Austin came down to play football. He came back and told me to go on Davids bike and see if Steven West is going to play footballagain tonight.

Sherington News

Last Sunday when my sister came home from Sunday school she said that she had stomach ache and she had a temperature of 100 ½ . Mummy told her to go to bed. She has not school all the rest of the week. There are 14 people away from school to-day; most of them have flu. I am very lucky for I have been sitting with Sandra Middleton and Michael Tofts and I haven’t yet got flu although they are both away with it.

Yestrday when I was coming to school I sen a double wing aeroplane. It flew over Cooks field then over the council houses then into the clouds. There were some cows mooing in the field when it went over.

Oct 4th 1957. A lot of people have got the flu. 10 people got it from school, and there are 20 left. Yesterday there was a patch of wet on the school ceiling. It is still there now but it is not so bad.

Oct 4th. It has been a very nice week, the sun has been out a lot and it hasn’t rained much. Yesterday ther was some water up on the roof so the teacher and the caretaker got a ladder and they went to see what the trouble was. There was a power cut and it went off at 8-0 and on at 11-0 and Mrs Bailey was wondering how she was going to cook our dinner.

September 30. To-day Ian Donnely is not at school because he has got the flu and he was going to have his polio prick today but he cant now. Agnes Watts also not very well She has got an upset tummy and she cant sit up or lay on her side So she is not at school nother.

This morning I saw a baby Robin it was triyin to get a worm euit of the ground they were bothe were tugin at the some time and the worm bruk in half and the uther half the robin eat up it went to looked for some more and wen it was finished it looking for a nother worm an but then it flowe away. W.

Sept 24 1957. Andy Cruikshanks, last night the was a storm. It started at about 4 o’clock this morning and has not stopped yet. It is dangous to ships on the sea because it makes the sea very rough. Especially to the sailing ship Pamir which has fifty boys onboard. We have heard sence that the Pamir has sunk and most of the boys drowned.

Last night Michael Brian and I went to collect stuff for our bonfire and at six o clock I went home. This morning I was stung by a wasp and I went home and my mum put some blue bag on it.

The flu as started in our village and in other places too. My friends brother caught it, then in about three days time Sandra caught it, she still has it but her sister hasn’t got the flu yet. A few people are away from school with the flu there is only twenty in the class today out of thirty four. I, haven’t got the flu yet.

Sherington News

Ouct 14,1957. This morning my brother is not very well and I think he has got the asian -flu. This morning there has been a frost and in shady places the frost is still on the ground.

This morning before I came into the playground I watched a diesel tractor digging out dirt in the bank to make the road wider.

Oct 14 MT. On Monday the sun was shining and on Tuesday Rogher had a cold and a head hock and when he woke up on wenday morning he had the aisen flu. Yesterday we we went for a natcher walk and we went up muddy lone and when sor michael Tofs and bory Tofs and doved Ostin. To Morrow it will be my birthdor and I will be ten.

Today nearly every body is back from the flu we had ??? away with it and me included there is still two away and that is two brothers.

Oct 15th 1957 This morning I was in bed I saw a yellow hammer, jenny wren, and a sparrow a starling too, on the chapel wall I got up late because I went to bed at nine o’clock last night. (With a drawing of 3 birds on the Chapel wall).

Yesterday I went collecting for bonfire night with Brian Umney and we ripped up paper and putiton but it is raining it was round grines and it is a hie one roger is coming too. Nearly all the fireworks will be bangers. I am going to have some rockets and four pretty ones and I might go raiding with some more boys and Roger

Sherington News

October 14. On Sunday I am going to the harvest Agnes, Jean, Dale and I are going up the gardens to get some things I also am taking some flowers and some eggs and apples. (A drawing of a garden & some harvest produce).

October 14th. Yesterday afternoon it was harvest festival. Jill my sister went and she was taking and singing all the time she walked round with me and bumped her head on a chair and mummy had to Jill on her lap. She was playing with mumys poppets. Mummy says she won’t take Jill again.

Oct 11. Roger Chapman. The other night Roger Andrews and Alan and I were collecting for the bonfire. Alan was pushing the barrow and I went to put a branch on it and it tipped over. Some of the branches fell off and I started coughing. One lady said don’t burn the village down.

Yesterday Tony Stanley came to fetch our wireless. We are going to have it back today. Yesterday I went to the library and I have brought a book to school. It is called ‘Looking at History’ About 3 o clock yesterday we went for a nature walk and we brough a lot of things back.

Oct 6th 1957 News of the week. A. Cruikshanks. . Yesterday I came back to school after a week. I stayed away because of a cold, sore throat and headache. So mummy called the doctor in and he said I had Asian flu.

Oct 10th 1957. Today I am going to the library at Newport on my bike to change my books for some more books.

Sherington News

October 11th Sandra Middleton. For our nature walk this week we went for a walk up muddy lane. We got a large collection of berries and leaves and we also looked for seeds.  .. Yesterday afternoon Jenny, Brian, and I went into the dining space to work on the long tables for we are making a model of a sky scraper. (drawings of cornflower, woody nightshade, sky scraper etc)

October 11th Jenny Stephens. This week in geography we are making a sky scraper. It is to be made of matchboxes and newspaper. We are working on the USA and Canada in geography. We are also making a book and drawing a map about Canada. We are also going to make a whaleback which is a ship which carries wheat down the Canadian rivers– In history we are making a Tudor time chart. I prefer history to geography. I am making a little book on how the Tudor dress– Yesterday we went for a nature walk along muddy lane. We collected a big bunch of flowers. I found two purple leaves. (a decorated page).

Sherington News

October 11th, Yesterday afternoon our class went for a nature walk. The infants had come back from there walk when we went. They got a basket of black berries. We went to get some leaves for Autumn leaves book. We went up muddy lane. It was very muddy and we got our shoes stuck with mud. We also got several twigs with berries on.

Oct 14th. Brian Moore, This week there are more people back but there are still some away with flu. Yesterday we went for a nature walk and the teacher said we were to find leaves and seeds. When we got back he said that if we could do so we could make our own nature book if we liked and I am going to make one for our group.

Tonight I am going to have a bath and in the morning we are going to Olney and my mum is going to the hospital and Vivien and Pauline are staying at Olney Pauline is staying with my auntie Bet and Jean Vivien and I are going to stay at my auntie Babs.

Sept 27. Roger Chapman.  Last night I played football Peter was in goal first and he saved a lot of shots. My brother was next and when he came out it was my brother. And I was kicked by Roddy Stanley but the game started again and Colin and I won.

Feb 3rd. A. Garratt. On an 17 we sat for the scholar ship the results have not come yet. I do not think I shall pass but I hope I shall. My number was A5, I sat near the radiators and then I was moved over to the piano. Smithfield market has been on fire for over a week three firemen were killed and some were smoked out. The fire is still smoking now. We are playing football and the last score is about 5 – 0 to the opposite side I am playing on Roger Chapmans our captain.

January 31 1958, Joan Bennett. Last Friday we had guides and the nurse is our Lieutenant we had an inspection and Captain inspected our pockets to see if we had every thing right in them. In our patrol which is heather patrol we have made screens so that the other patrols can’t see what we have got inside. The screens have things pinned onto them, Pat Stephens is my patrol leader and she is very nice and she doesn’t boss us about…. On Sunday was my birthday and I had lots of fun. I didn’t have a party because mummy said I was too old but I had a card from mum and dad and a card from Pam, Leslie, and Trevor, and a card from Sandra & I had an exercise book and pencil from Sandra.

Feb 3 1958. Andrew. In London the was a big fire and it is still smouldering now. Two firemen got killed and a maket square got burnt to ashes. There were at least firehouses on fire a man got killed in it too. The funeral was yesterday and there were two hundred people there. And there was hundreds of flowers. (drawing of a hearse)

Sherington News

February 3rd 1958. Michael Tofts, On Monday it was my birthday and I had two cards. That night when dad came home he gave me half a crown from my auntie Marg. The next day I did not have anything until dad came home at five 0 clock he gave me a ten shilling not(e) from my auntie Betty who lives in Olney. During the holidays I played with Brain Umney. We played in Bancroft at spear throwing. We were aiming at an old saucepan which we put in the ground…. The Monte Carlo rally started on January 22nd. The Sports View car number 331 did not have any luck.

January 20th. Last Saturday it was the British Legion party, Mr Stephens gave us a small piece of frosted glass to draw a picture on a few days before a man from Wolverton sent them. We had a lovely tea and afterwards we played musical chairs. Colin Maxwell won in the older ones and Michael Smith one in the little ones. After this we had films which were shown by the man from Wolverton. He also showed us the pictures we had drawn they were shown on the screen much bigger. The school children sang some songs with Mr Stephens. Jennifer, Sylvia and I recited a poem and the man from Wolverton recorded it back to us. When the party was over we each had a balloon an ice cream and an orange. Cynthia Umney (a drawing of the party).

Sherington News

M.Temple. Yesterday it was very foggy and there was a bad train crash. At seven o clock today we are playing football in the fog tomorrow I am going to the pictures to see Tommy Steel. (drawing of football match).

Feb 3 Brian Moore. . A few days ago the Monte Carlo rally started, among those who started at Paris was 331 which was the Sportsview car. When they got to the first check point Peter Dimmock asked them a few questions the army driver said that one car went up the wrong road and then they started to reverse while they were being waved on by a policeman, he had a smashed front. So they went on. They could take films because on the back doors there was a safety strap, which let the man lean out. On the way they saw many of the cars in the ditch. Then they themselves got stuck, and they were an hour late at Monte Carlo.

Jackie Coles. On Sunday it is my birthday. I will be ten years old. I am going to have some roller skates and a satchel and I might have a party. At Sunday school I will ask for a stamp to fill a square where it says birthday stamp and I will have the bumps.

Sherington News

Feb 3. B. Umney. I and Michet Temple Brian Odell Dave Coles went down the river. We threw pieces of wood in the river and the ice dident crack so Brian Odell said I am going on the ice. I said no don’t go on there it will break. Then I threw another piece of wood and the ice cracked and broke. Then Michael siad the ice would hold you. The I found a cain and I used it for a spear. After a while went home.

Feb.3. A. Cruikshanks. Yesterday it was my birthday. My presents were a pair of gloves, a box of chocs and a pencil box full of pencils. At church at the end of the service I had the bumps. After dinner my dad fetched my uncle and auntie over and we had a good time together.

Yesterday when I got home I had my tea and I went to Olney and the man on the bus said are you going to get some chips and I said no. when I got of the bus I whent to my aunties and my cramp gave me a bun and put three in a bag and then I went to catch the bus and when I got home I when down to Jackie nans to se telivision…. P.Wiseman.

Thersday night Colin Maxwell and Michael Moore and Michael Smith and Roger White and I whent cross country running and we had to go though a pond and a ditch. Roger White nearly got stuck in the ditch and when I had been another lap he was just getting out. Michael Smith come second and Moore came third Colin had to go home and Roger was last. .. Roger Chapman.

Sherington News

Yesterday michael Jackie cynthia and I went to mr cooks farm. We saw some baby lambs and we went up the binns we allso saw a lame lamb and it keep falling over in the road and michael tried to pick it up but he could not. But it would not move so then we got to the of it got up and ran in the farm yard.

16th June, Jennifer Stephens. Last Saturday was the church fete. It was held in the grounds of Bancroft Manor which is the home of the Rev. and Mrs Sparling…. The fete was opened by Sir Robert Fraser O.B.E. who is the chairman of the ITV. His wife was also present.  There were several side shows including rolling the ball, Treasure hunt, Penny in the bucket, picking the straw, Guessing the weight of the cake and guessing how many sweets in the bottle. The main attractions were the Bedford Morris Men and the Stoke Goldington Hand Bell ringers. … My sister and I were raising money by ourselves. I was raffeling a cushion which I had embroidered myself and Pat had made a cake and was taking it round and asking people to guess it weight. She raised £1 – 4s and I raised £1 – 12s – 9d… At the back of the manor Mrs Moore, Mrs Duncombe and Mrs Hockenall were serving cups of tea sandwhiches and cakes. Tables were set out on the lawn with chairs round them. It was very pleasant to sit and enjoy your tea there. We have collected over eighty pounds.

June 16th, 1958. Sandra Middleton. Last Saturday at Bancroft Manor, was the Church Fete. In the Manor live the Rev. and Mrs. Sparling. …. Sir Robert Fraser O.B.E. the chairman of ITV. Opend the Fete, and his wife Lady Fraser was also there. ….. There were a few side shows including Treasure Hunt, Magic Beads, and sixpence in the bucket. In the last of these you drop a penny into the bucket to try and cover the sixpence if you cover it you win the sixpence. … The Bedford Morris Men and the Stoke Goldington Hand Bell Ringers also came. At the back of the house tea and cakes were served by Mrs Moore, Mrs Hockenhall, and Mrs Duncombe. … There were a few raffles one for a cushion made by Jennifer Stephens, one for a box of groceries and another for a box of fruit…. Diana and Stella Rollinson sold button holes and so did Sylvia Keech. Anne Britton from Emberton served ices and drink. It was a lovely day and I think a reasonable amount of money was collected for the church.

16 June R.C. yesterday I went to Wickstead park. I looked at the boats and then we went on a watershoot and got splashed and then we had tea. After tea we went on the boats and went raond the hilland and bumped into a lot of boats and I had to bump somebody to the shore because because they could not rowh. When I got out I was sweating. And Colin was soaked in wet allofair himself. Then we went on the tran and it was called the Lady of the Lake and then my mother said go and get some sweets. At teatime a lady came to my mother and said have you seen a girl dressed in a yellow dres , she had lost her little girl…. 16 June. R.C. On Saturday I went to the fete and saw the Bedford Morris men and the bell ringers. I bought sweets and a lollipop and drink it started at 3oclock. And it ended at 6 o’clock. I bought a Milky Way and a lot more sweets and I had a go on the roll a ball and I tried to knck some skittles down. I also trid to cover a sixpence over with a penny. My highest score on the rollerball was six.

Monday June 16th. On Saturday I got up at a quarter to five, because I was going to Bognor Regis, with Coale’s outing. We started out at half – past six, and got to Bognor at half – past eleven. We went to round the shops, but we didn’t buy anything. After that we went to have are dinner, I had roast chicken, potatoes, cabbage, gravy, and for sweet I had rice pudding. Then I had a cup of coffee. When we had walked down to the pier, my father and I had a ride in a motor boat. Then we went to have some goes at the bingo. We went to buy some rock and then we had our tea. After that we walked slowly up, and we set off for home at half past five and got home at a quarter to twelve.

June 16th 1958. Alan Garratt. Last Sunday I found a baby charfinch, the cat had got it and was playing with it. On Saturday I went to see the Bridge over the river kwai it was a scene during the second world war. On Sunday I went to Northampton with dad to get some meat. On Sunday night I went to see the football match between Northern Irland and west Germany, they drew 2 all. McParland scored for Irland. Last Tuesday it was my birthday, I was 10.

On Saturday it was the Church Fete. There were grocery and sweet stalls. It was opened by Sir Robert Fraser who is Mrs Harris’s son in law. There were lots of side shows including skittles, pick a straw, cover the sixpence, Tresure Hunt, Magic beads and roll a ball and other things. Stella and Diana sold buttonholes. Special attractions were The Bedford Morris Men and the Stoke handbell ringers J. Brown.

Yesterday Stephen went to see the sites of London with John, Judith, Belinda, Mr and Mrs Clare and Mr and Mrs Stanley. First of all they went to London Airport and then they went into the heart of London. They saw the houses of parliament, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, the Thames No 10 Downing Street Nelson’s Column, the horse Guards Parade, The Salvation army band and many other things. They got home about 8 o’clock.

On Saturday the Church fete was held in Bancroft Manor. Mummy and Mrs Goodman were on a hand work stall, with Mrs Church. Mrs White was on sweets with Mrs Barker and Mrs Loxley and Mrs Devoney were on the groceries. They had croquet and clock golf and many other side shows. There was Morris dancing and the Stoke Bell Ringers. Daddy was on the skittles and darts with Koster I sold some button-holes and I made about 7s-0d Rosemary Moore presented the bouquet to Lady Fraser and the fete was open. I helped after it had finished and we had a lorry ride to the village hall. We took the chairs and tables in the hall and then we went home.

On Saturday I went to the Sherington Church fate. Jackie and I were on a picking a straw stall, you had to pick a straw and if you were lucky and have a piece of paper in the end you win a prize, Margaret and Freda were on the penny and bucket game All you have to do was to drop a penny over a sixpence in a bucket of water, if you get the penny over the sixpence you win the sixpence. Rosemary Moore presented the bouquet to Lady Fraser. The Brownies collected £1-17s-6d. Myrtle Peach won a raffled box of groceries. Peter Austin 3s on a game called tumbling. Pat Stephens won 5s on a bowling game. Trevor Bennett won a game of crquet. Mrs Slater won a jar of sweets. Altogether we raised about £70. …. Cynthia Umney.

Monday June 16th. On Sunday Barry and Ian found a baby sparrow in the bottom of the hedge. Ian caught the sparrow and brought it home, and we put it in a box. When I went home I gave the bird some bread and milk. Then I put the sparrow in a box and put it in the barn, and locked it up. The next day when I went to see if it was alive it had got out of the box. I hunted everywhere but could not see it . At dinner time I found it behind the barn door, dead. I dug a hole in the garden and buried it. .. At the Fete… At the Fete on Saturday Andy Cruikshanks and I sold 400 tickets and collected about £3. Miss Peach won the box of groceries, and Mr Smith won the box of fruit….. Michael Tofts.

I went for a walk with Ronny Loley. We went up dunkums and we saw alot of bullocks charching down the field so we got back over the fence and went in the other field. We saw two lambs in a little field, the lambs came running to see us we brook some baranches and gave it to them. They ate out of our hands and when we started to walk over to the other side they followed us. We got them some more branches and them to them to eat. Then I got over the fence and we started to go home….. This morning when I came down the road to school I saw a song thrush hopping up and down Mrs Sparlings Garden. I watched it getting worms out of the ground.

June 16 1958. Andrew Donnelly. Last night Barry Tofts and Ian caught a little sparrow it had been cut under its chest and it was hungry and barry gave it some bread Michael got a box and put pieces of wood so that it could not get out. Then we went for a walk and when I had a look at it it was eating some bread and milk and then Barry put it in the barn. And this morning it was gone.

June 16: On Friday it was my birthday when I came out of school I went to Newport with my Mum she boght me a pair of football boets and socks the boets black and white the socks are black and red. .. We bought the boots at the Co-op then we went to Mister Friday and I bought a Vanwall racing car.

September 18th Carole Turner.  Our cat Sooty had a kitten last night but it was not fed inside her so it died and mummy buried it. The weather is very misty this morning and the announcer said on the weather forecast that it would rain after lunch. We are going to have blackberry pie for dinner today. Roger, Penny and I got the blackberries.

Last night. On Tuesday Belinda Clare cut her head open. Mrs Clare took Belindas bandage off this morning and it has healed up well.

Sept 18 1958…. Yesterday Richard came to stay at nannys and Belinda went up to play with Richard. Most of yesterday morning they were gathering conkers. Richard got 83 conkers. When I came home from school we had a game of horses. Richard and I were horses and Belinda was the horse-man. Belinda was out in the fields and when we were in the fields we got some more conkers.

Oct 7. .Yesterday our class and five of the infants went on Wesleys coach to Newport Pagnell where we saw a play. Moon Magic was the name of the play and the actors and actresses were a dancing doll, an old lady, a professor, a girl called Jenny, Mr Fortune maker of dreams, Peter Simple his assistant, the moon Queen, and her servant, and Mr Sly and Mr Slick, two crooks…. I liked the dancing doll best out of all the actors and I think I liked the first (half of the play) better than the second half. ….. Andy Cruikshanks.

October 6th:  On Tuesday Pope John the 23rd was crowned. The ceromony started at 7-30 in the morningand ended at about twelve o’clock. The pope wore magnificent robes embroided with silver and gold and on his finger was a huge ring which he will wear on special ocations. The triple which was on (continued on the next page) his head was studded with precious stones. In the mass the pope drank from a golden chalice. He had to kiss the holy book and kiss the alter to pay homage to saint Peter. All the cardinals kiss the popes hand and foot to pay homage to him…. Sylvia Keech.

October 13th, Alan. On Saturday I went to Cranfield Aerodrome to see the planes I got in one but never went up. Warwick Line came with us in the van, it was very exciting. On Sunday Warwick came to play with me in the morning. I took the papers round with Brain More after that I played football with Eric. In the afternoon my Uncle came.

October 1st. 1958, Andrew Donnelly. .It will be bonfire night in two months, and I am excited about it I am going to have some bangers and pretty ones as well. Bangers are the best of the lot. Barry Mills might be coming to it. Uncle Tony is coming and I hope we have the bonfire up our house like last year. It was fun last year. Mummy loves it and Russll too. Smiths have got fireworks. Ian bought a banger this morning and I wonder what it will be like.

November 11th, C. Umney. ..Today it is very cold and frosty. Nearly every-body is wearing warm Winter clothes. In just over a weeks time our school are holding an Autumn Bazaar. We are decorating bare branches with leaves made of crepe paper. We are also making tea-cosies, apron, tray cloths, and bonnets and peg bags. We are raffling a box of ………U. 2.. groceries, a box of chocolate fingers, a stool, a cushion, and a cockerel. Mrs Moore and Mrs Bailey are having a tea, bisciuts and cake stall out in the dinning space. We hope to raise about £14..

November .24th. Barry Mills. Last Saturday I went to the Autumn Bazaar. It was super, I was on a stall where you had to fly a Whirly Whizz into the air, and try to get three of them into a hoop on the ground. It was threepence a go, my Daddy gave me threepence more. My friend Andrew was on a stall where you had to write down your name on a piece of paper, with a map of a tresure island on it wherever you think the tresure is hidden, then you have to write down any number you like on another piece of paper.

Nov 27th. Today there was a wedding at Sherington. The bride was Bridget Cook and the Bridegroom was Barry Haynes. I went out of school early to present the bride with a lucky horseshoe. She wore a white lace dress which was ballerina at the front and came down to a train at the back. The bride had a coronet of pearls and a veil of white nylon. She had shoes of white velvet and (a) bouquet of yellow and white crysanthemums. The Bridegroom wore a top hat and morning suit. The Bridesmaids wore dresses of yellow taffeta over net with yokes of yellow velvet. (the next page). The reception was at the Dujohn restrant in Bedford where the guests had a four corce lunchuen. They started with water mellon. Then the guests had chicken, turkey, roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, sprouts, sausages and white sauce. The next corse was three coloured ice cream and fruit salad. Last the guests had cheese and biscuits and coffee. Then they all went to the bar and had champagne and wedding cake.

November 24. 1: On Saturday we had our school sale. It was a cheerful afternoon and everything went well. Mrs Moore and Mrs Bailey were on teas and lemonade and biscuits. Carole and John were on raffles there was (one) for a stool one for a doll and a box of groceries. Which was won by Brian Umney. (page 2) ..2: The stool was won by. Mrs Watts and the doll by Miss Hickson I was on a jumble stall with Cynthia Jennifer and Sylvia on the grocers. Pat Stephens and Mrs Burgess’ sister on the sewing. Jenny was selling cards and the boys were on games. (page 3) 3: When the afternoon ended we had raised £15 16s 6d which will buy us new books and some things to eat for our school party. The rest we will save until we are inneed of more PT aqument Mr Stephens was very pleased with the result of the afternoon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a list of people named in these 'Newspaper Articles':-
....West			A.Garratt 
A. Stephan			Agnes Watts
Alan .....			Andy Cruikshank
B. Umney   			Barry Tofts
Ben Line			Brian Moore  
Brian Odell			Brian Umney
Brian.....			Carol Wise
Colin Maxwell			Cynthia ....
Cynthia Umney  		        Dale .....
Dave Coles			David Austin