34 Market Pl

No 34 Market Place, 2012
Click on image to enter ODHS Buildings Database for this property

Number 34 Market Place was probably the home of Mr Bannister, who in 1782 had the Parish Pump erected opposite his house on the Market Place. By the 1830’s Miss Mary Mabley was running a Boarding and Day School there, and in 1841 had another teacher, six pupils aged between 5 and 14 and one servant. Ten years later, in 1851, there were only four pupils.

By the 1880’s Number 34 was the Gibson family home. The 1891 census lists William A Gibson, brewers clerk, then widowed, and his family in residence.

Later, in 1907 when Mr Murton ran the Post Office and a tobacconist business, a shop front was installed. Sowmans acquired the property and incorporated it into their business, using it as an entrance to their garage business (on the left) and their radio shop (on the right). The 1911 Census lists Harry Ford Chandler, general ironmongers clerk, as residing at that address.


No 34 Market Place on the right c.1900
Before Sowmans fitted a shop front

Being business premises there are no records of persons living at Number 34 in the 1936 Register of Electors.

The full history of JW & E Sowmans ironmongery business has been compiled as a separate article on this website and comprises two extensive parts (see link below). Sowmans business, which considerably expanded its business lines over the years, eventually spanned from Number 32 to 34 Market Place.



Associated images and advertisements:

T H Murton (PO) Ad 1907

Advertisement appeared in Ratcliff’s 1907 ‘Olney, Bucks’ Almanack
Click for enlarged image


Nos 32, 33 & 34 Market Place 2007


No 34 Market Place c.1915
On the right, after Sowmans had fitted a shop front

Click here for a direct link to the extensive Sowman article

Visit No. 35 Market Place

Return to Introduction to the Market Place tour

Copyright © 2013 Olney & District Historical Society


Comments are closed.