The “Wavendon, with the Hamlet of Woburn Sands” and Aspley Guise sections of Kellys Trade Directory of 1854

WAVENDON is a parish and village, distant from Newport Pagnell 5 miles, and from London 45 miles, in the Hundreds of Newport Pagnell, on the river Ouse. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Oxford, value £800, in the gift of Frederick Woodbridge, Esq. The church has been entirely restored, under the superintendence of – Butterfield, Esq., the celebrated architect, of Adam Street, Adelphi, with new chancel, nave &c. The windows are chiefly of stained glass.  It is now a very handsome structure, and is dedicated to St. James. There are also places of worship for the Methodists and Society of Friends; a Charity school, supported by a farm, left by George Wells, for educating, clothing, and apprenticing 10 boys. The chief residence is Wavendon Hall. The population, in 1851, was 935; the parish contains 2,600 acres. William Denison, Esq., is lord of the manor.

Post Office – Samuel King, postmaster. Letters are received through the post office, Newport Pagnell, arrive 9am; dispatched half past 5pm.

The Station, Woburn Sands
The Station, on the road to Wavendon

Wavendon Gentry

George Frederick Brunton, esq.
Rev. Henry Burney, B.A. [rector]
Rev Charles Mayor, M.A. [curate]
Frederick Woodbridge, esq. Wavendon Hall

Wavendon Traders

Charles Abercrumbie, ‘Leather Bottle’
James Anderson, farmer, Wavendon Farm
John Bailey, farmer
George Bodsworth, harness maker
William Brandon, wheelwright
Charles Claridge, Plough Inn and baker
Daniel Eaton, shoemaker
William Facer, Wheatsheaf
William Goodall, shoemaker
Charles Goosey, farmer
James Harris, shoemaker
William Harris, butcher and shopkeeper
Thomas Hight, blacksmith
Thomas Higgs, ‘Red House’
Hutton & Co., farmers
Frederick Hutton, bricklayer
Henry Hutton, farmer
John King, farmer and maltser
Thomas King, maltster
William Henry Lockyer, schoolmaster
John Mabley, blacksmith
Alfred Smith, horse dealer
James Smith, horse dealer
Josiah Spreckley, butcher
William Sturges, farmer
George Tite, builder
Benjamin Tomlin, draper and grocer
George Yates, tailor

Woburn Sands

William Henry Denison, esq.


Robert Bailey, Weathercock Inn
Gregory Odell Clarke, coal merchant
Richard Deverall, Swan Inn
George Falder, farm bailiff
Mary Lee, (Mrs) ‘Fir Tree Inn’
Jonathan Putnam, blacksmith
William Tansley, shopkeeper

The High Street and Swan, Woburn Sands
The High Street and Swan, Woburn Sands


Aspley Guise is a large village and parish, 2 miles from Woburn, in the Hundred of Manshead and Union of Woburn. This parish was anciently in the possession of the family of Gyse or Guise.  In 1540 John Guise, Esq., exchanged with Henry VIII. his manor of Aspley for lands in Gloucestershire. Aspley, after this period became the property of the Sadlier family. Here was formerly a market on Fridays, and a fair at St. Botolph’s-tide granted to one of the Guises in 1267. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford, of the annual value of £325; the rector is the Rev. John Vaux Moore, M.A. The church is a neat structure, and has been much improved, through the exertions of the rector, by the addition of new clerestory windows, the lower ones being of stained glass; it consists of nave, chancel, and square embattled tower. The parish comprises about 1950 acres; the population, in 1851, was 1302. The chief owners of the soil are the Duke of Bedford; Rev. J. Vaux Moore, Charles Hoare, Esq. and the Rev. R. S. Moody: the latter is lord of the manor.

Mrs Atterbury
Mrs Bird
Francis Kerr, esq.
Rev. George Mahon, M.A.
Rev. John Vaux Moore, M.A. [rector]
Rev. Richard Pain, B.C.L.
Mrs Percival
John Robinson, esq.
Mrs Shepherd
Lieut-Col. Hervey Smith
Mrs Boteler Smith
Mrs Smith
Mr Benjamin Wiffen, Mount Pleasant
Mrs Wiffen

George Arnold, tailor
Mrs Arnold Temperance, shopkeeper
Daniel Barnwell, butcher
Thomas Bennett, brewer
John Billington, fishmonger
Mrs Mary Bird, butcher
James Brandon, beer retailer
Mrs Kitty Britten, beer retailer
George Bunyan, plumber
James Burton, ‘Bell’
Samuel Chibnell, plasterer
George Cook, ‘Swan’
Joseph Cook, shopkeeper
Summers Douglas, farmer
William How Ellis, blacksmith
Jospeh Flude, tailor
John Foster, wheelwright
Thomas Fryer, baker
William Gilbert, farmer
George Goodman, shopkeeper
William & Henry Green, grocers and drapers
William Handscomb, nurseryman
John Hewlatt, carpenter
William Hirdle, builder
George Hobbs, saddler
William How, farmer
William Kingston, butcher
John Large, shoemaker
Thomas Parker, surgeon
Edward Read, blacksmith
John Samwell, saddler
John Smith, baker
William Stapleton, shoemaker
Abraham Page Turney, grocer
William Warr, farmer
Charles Whitman, tailor
Edwin Williams, dentist
James Williams, surgeon
Robert Wright, thresher
Richard Waterman Woodin, beer retailer & shoemaker

Post Office. – John Shemeld, receiver. Letters arrive from Woburn at ¼ before 8 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.
Public Schools:- British, John Wood, master; Infant, Charles Ellen, master; Mrs Ann Ellen, mistress.


Page last updated Dec. 2018