The Wavendon and Woburn Sands sections of Mercer and Crockers Trade Directory of 1871:



Wavendon is a parish and village 1 mile from Woburn Sands. Population, 880.  Acreage 2667. WOBURN SANDS is in this parish. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a [???] building. The living is a rectory, value £850 per annum; patron H. A. Hoare, Esq. The Rev. H. Burney, M.A. is the incumbent.

Letters via Woburn, which is the nearest money order office.

George Abercrombie, Leathern Bottle
James Anderson, farmer
Thomas Brandon, painter and glazier
George Frederick Brunton, Esq.
Rev. Henry Burney, M. A. rectory
John Burgess, Wheatsheaf Inn
George Cardwell, farmer
William Carter, carpenter
George Chappell, farmer
Charles Claridge, Plough Inn
William Facer, butcher and grocer
Charles Goosey, farmer
James Harris, shoe maker
William Harris, farmer
Edmund Hobbs, farmer
Joseph Kent, joiner and builder
John King, farmer and maltster
John Mabley, blacksmith
Rev. Charles Mayor, M. A. curate
Thomas Pell, farmer
George Spreckley, tailor
Josiah Spreckley, beer retailer
Nathaniel Sturges, farmer
Captain Swabey, Wavendon House
Thomas Swabey, Esq., Wavendon House
George Tite, builder
Mary Ann Tomlin, Mrs., shopkeeper

The Woburn Sands parade of shops


Robert Bailey, Weathercock Inn
Eli Clarke, shopkeeper
Gregory Odell Clarke, coal merchant
William Edward Clarke, corn merchant, and at Fenny Stratford
James Collins, beer retailer
John Collins, baker
Down and Co. proprietors of Farmer’s Friend, for the prevention of smut in wheat
William Henry Denison, Esq
Down, Mrs., Haydon House
Rev. Henry Macdowall Erskine, M. A.
Charles Featherstonhaugh, rope maker
Thomas Gadesden, farmer
John Giles, timber merchant
Frederick Hutton, builder
Charles Inwood, tailor
Henry Kent, machinist
Benjamin Lines, corn dealer
John Litchfield, Fir Tree Inn
George William Paternoster
William Scrivner, Swan Inn
Alfred Smith, horse dealer and farmer
Jesse Smith, beer retailer
John Sollom, lath render
Charles Pole Stuart, Esq
William Tansley, lath render

Woburn Sands Methodist Chapel


Page last updated Dec. 2018.