The Woburn Sands section of Kellys Trade Directory of 1877:

Woburn Sands is a station on the London, and North Western railway, in the union of Woburn, Leighton Buzzard and Newport Pagnell county court districts: it was formed in 1867 into an ecclesiastical parish, partly out of the parish of Aspley Guise, in the county of Beds, and partly out of the parish of Wavendon, in the county of Bucks, in the rural deanery of West Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Michael is of stone, in the French Gothic style; Henry Clutton, esq., was the architect: it consists of chancel and nave, connected by five arches on either side with the aisles, it has a small circular tower with spire and 1 bell and stands in Aspley Heath, Beds. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £166 13s. 4d., in the gift of the Duke of Bedford, and held by the Rev. James Milne Hamilton, M. A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. A handsome school, substantially built of red brick with stone facing, was erected in 1868, at the cost of the Duke of Bedford: it consists of a schoolroom, 60 feet by 30 feet, with large classroom and other suitable offices. In this hamlet are a Wesleyan chapel, a Friends’ meeting house, and a chapel of the Primitive Methodists. The Village Institute, built in 1874, at a cost of about £800, stands near the centre of the parish, has a library of 500 vols., and is used as a reading room, for concerts, and other village purposes. This parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the sand hills, and in the vicinity of the beautiful Aspley Guise plantations; it is situated on the Lower Greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand. The principal landowners are the Duke of Bedford, John Green, esq., C. Ridgway, esq., and W. H. Denison, esq. The area is 1,400 acres; and the population in 1871 was 896, of which 557 are in Beds.

Parish Clerk, Charles Beasley.

Post & money order office & Savings Bank, Woburn Sands.-Thomas Hudson, receiver. Letters arrive from Woburn at 6.45 & 10.55, a.m.; dispatched at 5.40 & 7.55 p.m. & on Sundays at 12 noon.

National School, Mrs. Jane Wall, mistress
Railway Station, John Worrall, Station master

Carriers to:- Bedford – William Hull, sat; Leighton Buzzard – George Paternoster, tues; Newport Pagnell – W. Hull, tues.

Private Residents
Bubb, Mrs
William Henry Denison, Hardwick
Frederick William Down, Haydon House
Henry Down, Woodfield
Down, Mrs., Haydon House
Rev. James Milne Hamilton, M.A. [vicar]
George Lees
James Pain
Charles Pole Stuart J. P., Sandy Mount House
Thomas Swabey, Woodcote

Woburn Sands Town Sign
The Woburn Sands town sign reflects the heritage


Robert Bailey, Weathercock Inn
John Briginshaw, brick maker & coal merchant
Ann Maria Burgess (Mrs.), shopkeeper
William Edward Clarke, coal & corn merchant; & at Fenny Stratford
John Collins, baker
Jesse Cooper, Fir Tree Inn
George Day, boot & shoemaker
H. Down & Co. proprietor of the ‘Farmers’ Friend,’ for the prevention of smut in wheat; & at Woburn. See advert
Henry & Frederick William Down, maltsters &c
Charles Featherstonhaugh, rope maker
Thomas Gadesden, farmer
John Giles, timber merchant
John Goodman, timber merchant
Samuel Hack, shopkeeper
George Handscomb, nurseryman
Thomas Hudson, grocer, butcher, & post office
Frederick Hutton, builder
William Ingle, beer retailer
Mary Inwood and (Mrs), tailor & dressmaker
John Jenkins, shopkeeper
Henry Kent, wheelwright & machinist
John T. Luttman, Station commercial & general hotel
Frederick Moore, coal merchant
Henry Newman, draper; & at Ampthill
George William Paternoster, grocer & carrier
John Scott, beer retailer, & carter
John Sharp & Son, plumbers, painters &c
Alfred Smith, horse dealer & farmer, Horse Grove House
John Sollom, lath render
Zachariah Spreckley, Swan
George Tansley, grocer
Henry Thomas Turney, corn merchant & miller
Woburn Sands Village Institute & Reading Room



Page last updated Dec. 2018.